Mac OS X and other devices

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Evopro

General OS X drive application

Post by Evopro »

I have connections that know how to program for OS X devices and I hereby offer to from my own pocket have an app built for the SpacePilot Pro for OS X that will run under Leopard.

Is there anyone here who supports such an effort? Let me know. You can support it by writing a message here, contact me for programming and testing support or to help fund the effort. I estimate the cost to be about 12 000 dollars. I will fund this myself and if anyone wants to contribute, that is of course great. Anyone taking part in this effort will also get a share of potential income for the drivers (if we make it shareware with a small cost, like 5 dollars or so)

Let's show these people how the Mac OS X community does things and get things done!
monkeyfy

Post by monkeyfy »

Thanks for sharing.
Smile eveyday and enjoy everyday.
bill198203

Post by bill198203 »

Thank you.
Defender666

Post by Defender666 »

Hi,

@Evopro how is developement going?

I also need a mac driver / 3dxWare.

MAC Marketing is growing rapidly and I can't understand why 3D Connexion does not support my 3D Pilot which cost 700euro.

Like we see here selling 20 3D Pilots for MAC whould pay the driver developpement.

May be someone can port the unix version as it has been done for g15 keyboard using X Developper Tools
Evopro

Post by Evopro »

Defender666 wrote:Hi,

MAC Marketing is growing rapidly and I can't understand why 3D Connexion does not support my 3D Pilot which cost 700euro.

Like we see here selling 20 3D Pilots for MAC whould pay the driver developpement.

May be someone can port the unix version as it has been done for g15 keyboard using X Developper Tools
Hi there.

I did start but when I wanted some help from 3D connexion, they simply did not even reply! I have never met a company being more ignorant and arrogant. It would benefit them to make Mac OS X drivers, only take a few days and they simply refuse. I believe they are partly owned by Microsoft and have been told to block OS X.

The more people letting them know how stupid that is the better. Send them an e-mail and let them know.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

I'm sorry to hear that your request for information was not satisfied. What type of information were you looking for? 3Dconnexion devices are HID compliant so you can develop support for them using OS X's HID interface.

Just a side note, although the SpacePilot is not officially supported on the Mac, the device can be used in OS X. You can navigate using the controller cap in applications that support 3D mice. However, only two buttons are available to program.
Evopro

Post by Evopro »

flomotan wrote:I'm sorry to hear that your request for information was not satisfied. What type of information were you looking for? 3Dconnexion devices are HID compliant so you can develop support for them using OS X's HID interface.

Just a side note, although the SpacePilot is not officially supported on the Mac, the device can be used in OS X. You can navigate using the controller cap in applications that support 3D mice. However, only two buttons are available to program.
What are you doing writing me when you could be busy making a proper OS X application?
Defender666

Post by Defender666 »

Hi there.

I did start but when I wanted some help from 3D connexion, they simply did not even reply! I have never met a company being more ignorant and arrogant. It would benefit them to make Mac OS X drivers, only take a few days and they simply refuse. I believe they are partly owned by Microsoft and have been told to block OS X.

The more people letting them know how stupid that is the better. Send them an e-mail and let them know.
I don't think they are associate to microsoft because microsoft developps for OSX. I have a MS Mouse running great on OSX. It's much better to use then a mac mouse because it has a better acceleration profile built in the driver.

Also I use MS OFFICE 2008 for MAC along with Entourage. Entourage is better then Outlook on PC because it fully supports IMAP. So MS does not ignore Mac at all.

I think 3Dx has not realised yet that the MAC Market is growing because more and more people buy Macs. They love their IPODs and IPHONEs and get a MAC Computer to work.

They are simply to lazy to do a mac driver. Their is a unix driver which could be easily ported.
Defender666

Post by Defender666 »

Maybe one can port the driver like this:

http://statistics.roma2.infn.it/~sestit ... _OS_X.html
tkingart

Post by tkingart »

I would like to echo the request for SpacePilot OS X drivers. A lot of Gaming Industry professionals are switching over from PC's to Mac's for the stability and reliability of the platform.

I've used the SpacePilot (and SpaceNav in the past) with 3D Studio Max and Maya. The current SpaceNav drivers allows the device to function, but only at the most basic level, none of the function buttons work. I believe many Gaming Industry professionals and veterans like myself, are really hoping for Mac OS X support.

I've been in the Gaming Industry for over 15 years, and my work is currently featured at Autodesk University.
Artist T.King
Neil Morgan

Post by Neil Morgan »

Can I add my name to those imploring you to add functionality to the basic OSX driver.
asierra

Post by asierra »

Me too. I have a Spaceball 5000 USB, and I´d like to use it in my new iMac with snow leopard.
kps

Post by kps »

flomotan wrote:Just a side note, although the SpacePilot is not officially supported on the Mac, the device can be used in OS X. You can navigate using the controller cap in applications that support 3D mice. However, only two buttons are available to program.
One small change would dramatically improve the usefulness of the unsupported devices. Instead of "eating" the extra buttons, the driver should treat them as if they were set to "Unassigned". That would let third-party software handle them -- the price of ControllerMate is negligible on top of a SpaceExplorer.
mazen1

news

Post by mazen1 »

good
MNMinstrel

Post by MNMinstrel »

Evopro wrote:
Defender666 wrote:Hi,

Hi there.

Hi Evopro, just wanted to check in and see if you are still pursuing this. I'm using my crippled spacepilot with blender on the mac and I'd really love to see all of the buttons work with it.