I got the Space Navigator to work in Cinema 4D 11/Mac OSX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

DJackson

I got the Space Navigator to work in Cinema 4D 11/Mac OSX

Post by DJackson »

No help from here really.

I found the answer at a 3D forum called 3D Cafe

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=42001

Here's what you do.

Install everything (obviously)

Then go to your Cinema 4D 11 and then go to WINDOW>3D Connexion and enable the thing.

You must keep the window open for the 3D mouse to work.

I closed the window and it stopped working.

Kind of a funky setup, but now it works.

Report here if you guys get it working :)
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

oh and make sure you install "additional plugins"
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

Now I just need it to work in Photoshop CS4 :?
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

I posted on my blog the "HOW TO" get the SpaceNavigator to work.

:D

http://stratoart.blogspot.com/

Thanks to "Klueck" over at 3DCafe.com
DJackson

works in C4D = yeah. doesn't work in Photoshop CS4 = boo

Post by DJackson »

Unfortunately the SpaceNavigator does NOT work in Adobe Photoshop CS4, despite 3Dconnexions claim that it is supported. No plugins are installed from the new 1.5.6 driver even though the release notes say it does.

Someone dropped the ball. :(

I have Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6 - 8 core Intel
Photoshop CS4 11.0.1
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

SpaceNavigator fully supports Photoshop CS4. When you run the driver install, it will place a plug-in into /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/3Dconnexion.

Please check and see if this is there
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

flomotan wrote:SpaceNavigator fully supports Photoshop CS4. When you run the driver install, it will place a plug-in into /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/3Dconnexion.

Unfortunately not there. :?

I already had Photoshop CS4 installed. I did download and install the new 1.5.6 Mac driver (called 3dxwaremacPE-v1_5_6.dmg). But not seeing it install anything into my Photoshop plugin directory. I guess the same happened with Sketchup, that installer didn't install there either. :(

Can you send me the plugin file?

djallfiredup@gmail.com
DJackson

Post by DJackson »

flomotan wrote:SpaceNavigator fully supports Photoshop CS4. When you run the driver install, it will place a plug-in into /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/3Dconnexion.

Flomotan, could you send me that Photoshop plugin as well? The installer doesn't install anything to the Photoshop CS4 plugin folder. I think there's a problem with the installer. I got the sketchup files and now that works well. Just need the Mac SpaceNavigator plugin for Photoshop CS4.

Much thanks!

Dale
djallfiredup@gmail.com
klueck

c4d r11 not convincing...

Post by klueck »

Hello everyone
and thanks for your credits!

After having "launched" the spacenavigator within c4d r11 on mac osx I just got tired of it and left it behind!... Why? Because the handling is by far not as good as it should and can be (see Maya!). Using 1/2/3 to navigate with a tablet or the mouse is at this point of time still more acurate!

But maybe its me! So what are your experiences? For example: it's very hard to have a look on top of objects without getting a weired point of view you cannot escape from anymore.... I hope this makes any sense.

What are your settings:?:

Cheers, klueck
DJackson

Re: c4d r11 not convincing...

Post by DJackson »

klueck wrote:Hello everyone
and thanks for your credits!

After having "launched" the spacenavigator within c4d r11 on mac osx I just got tired of it and left it behind!... Why? Because the handling is by far not as good as it should and can be (see Maya!). Using 1/2/3 to navigate with a tablet or the mouse is at this point of time still more acurate!

But maybe its me! So what are your experiences? For example: it's very hard to have a look on top of objects without getting a weired point of view you cannot escape from anymore.... I hope this makes any sense.

What are your settings:?:

Cheers, klueck
I've been using 1/2/3 since Cinema 4D 8. I first saw a 3D Mouse about 6 months ago when I visited an engineer friend working for Gulfstream. He told me he could never do his modeling without a 3D mouse. That statement was confirmed by my brother, an aeronautical engineer with Boeing. Both working with Solid modeling. They had the ball type with all the control buttons. I tried it and I was clumsy with it because I wasn't used to it. But one thing I did noticed, I could really navigate around the model much more precisely than I could without the 3D mouse.

Now I tried the Space Navigator, and I have it's settings box permanently docked in my new setup in C4D 11 (Mac), and I could not do without it. My speed and efficiency has increased so much. I will never go back to 1/2/3 again. After I adjusted the sensitivity sliders, I can accurately and precisely navigate around any given model. If I need to navigate on a larger scale, I just easily move the sliders up a bit, and then move the sliders back down to get really intricate with the moves.

Regarding accuracy, the Space Navigator is VERY precise. I barely have to touch it, yet it allows the user to be able to "push" and "pull" in and around the model.

I can nudge it with my pinky and it responds perfectly. I have set it's sensitivities to my desire and it's awesome. Again, I would never go back to the archaic form of navigating using 1/2/3.

Here's my setup Docked right at the top right for easy access.

jake_westmorley

Post by jake_westmorley »

I also don't seem to have the plugin in CS4. Does anyone know the solution? Did the people who posted their email addresses on the forum get a reply?
Corniger

Post by Corniger »

OK - what is is supposed to do in CS4? After I searched the forum, because my Spacenavigator actually did nothing at all but shine blue, I did the update check just for the sheer joy of doing it (I had installed the drivers days ago) and it validated my install. The plugin had been there before. Then I opened Photoshop again and SUDDENLY (fresh Win7 install...) the message popped up that I have to choose a shortcut. Did that, and now all it does is jerk around the cursor a bit. In CS2 I was able to zoom and pan, so what's happenening here? :)

AND I need a working Blender plugin...

Thanks!
Win 7 x64 & Blender x64
Corniger

Post by Corniger »

Really strange... after out of frustration I installed Google Earth to see if there was ANYTHING to use the SpaceNavigator for, it suddenly works again. In Photoshop CS4 I can scroll again.

Now all I need is a functioning Blender plugin :)
Win 7 x64 & Blender x64