Save Command

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DPerk

Save Command

Post by DPerk »

Is there a way to map a simple "Save" to my SpacePilot? I'm working with some serious assemblies (32MB+) which makes SW '09 SP2.0 with PDM pretty unstable... so I save frequently.

Also, I was hoping to maybe map Ctrl+Q to one of my buttons as well - it's much more effective than a rebuild...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Same goes for a Spaceball 5000 (for a co-worker).

Thanks guys,
Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you can't find Save or the ^Q command in the 3DxControl panel in Solidworks (I don't know why you wouldn't), you can open the 3DxWare panel (via the desktop icon or start menu) and create keyboard macros for these commands. You have to do this while SW is running. Then exit SW and restart SW and the 3DxControl panel in SW will have your new macros that you can assign to SP buttons in SW.
DPerk

Post by DPerk »

The only Save command that I see is under the 3DxWare Functions listing and all that does is save my configurations of button mapping. Maybe I'm just missing what I'm looking for? If you can point me to the correct category, please do. Same with Ctrl+q, no idea where that is.

I also lack the knowledge required to write a macro for either of these commands, so that's a dead end for me as well. Any further help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Dave
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Dave,

The add-in feature "Button Mapping" (assignment of application commands to device buttons) is limited to the application commands that are available on toolbars. This means you can do the following to map the "Save" command:

A) Right-click on the toolbar and select "Customize..."
B) Enable the "Macro" toolbar
C) Go to the Commands-tab and select "Standard" as category
D) Move the Save-command in there to the Macro toolbar
E) Open the Button Mapping Panel, expand the "Macro" category
F) Drag and drop "Save (Ctrl+S)" in there to a button on your SpacePilot

Please use only commands that do not provide a drop-down menu on the toolbar (commands in the "Flyout Toolbars" category in SolidWorks).

Does this work?
Robert Stadie
DPerk

No luck

Post by DPerk »

Well, I added the Save command to the Macro toolbar, mapped it to one of my buttons, and it still doesn't work.... not sure what the problem is. It shows up on the LCD for it, but doesn't actually work the save command.
Dave
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Are you sure you mapped the save command which is now available in the "Macro" category in the Button Mapping Panel?
Robert Stadie
Fred

Post by Fred »

Heres another option you can try.
You may want to make a macro in Solidworks to map that macro to a keyboard key.
Then edit the 3Dconnexion macro you created and click the keyboard key you assigned.

p.s if you cannot find the Save command in the 3D connexion toolbar make sure you have the toolbar enabled in Solidworks. Then it will appear in the 3Dconnexion toolbar.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Does the command work via the keyboard button it is mapped to?
DPerk

Sorry guys

Post by DPerk »

Sorry for the delayed response, I stopped getting emails about responses to the post for some reason. Anyway, still no luck getting the Save command to work in SolidWorks, and just now while I was out for lunch with my computer locked, my SpacePilot has decided that the "in/out of desk" direction for In/Out zoom is no longer an option for me. It's defaulting to the forward/back = in/out zoom option no matter what I do. I close SW, change it to forward/back, open SW, play with a model, close SW, change settings to in/out of desk and then open SW and it doesn't change it......
Working with it in this setting is almost nauseating after being used to the other way.... is this a way to try to get me to upgrade to the SpacePilot PRO? haha
Dave
DPerk

Drivers

Post by DPerk »

I uninstalled and re-installed my drivers from the website as well. So that shouldn't be the issue either. I'm going to check my Windows Updates to see if that might be the problem.
Dave
tmaximus89

Post by tmaximus89 »

Thanks for the great help.

Re: Sorry guys

Post by rstadie »

DPerk wrote:...Anyway, still no luck getting the Save command to work in SolidWorks, and just now while I was out for lunch with my computer locked, my SpacePilot has decided that the "in/out of desk" direction for In/Out zoom is no longer an option for me. It's defaulting to the forward/back = in/out zoom option no matter what I do. I close SW, change it to forward/back, open SW, play with a model, close SW, change settings to in/out of desk and then open SW and it doesn't change it......
Working with it in this setting is almost nauseating after being used to the other way.... is this a way to try to get me to upgrade to the SpacePilot PRO? haha
Which configuration is active while you can't change the zoom direction?
Robert Stadie
miffityzune

Post by miffityzune »

Useful info .Many Thanks