SketchUp 6 and SketchUp 7

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob James

SketchUp 6 and SketchUp 7

Post by Bob James »

This has been entered as Trouble Ticket 12044486BJ.

I have both SketchUp 6 and SketchUp 7 loaded on my MacPro. I've loaded the latest 3DX software (v1.5.6).
When I use SketchUp 6 I have Navigator PE control. When I use SketchUp 7 I do not.

How can I add SU7 as the app that Navigator supports?
Could it support both?

By the way, I have Vista 64 Business loaded on the MacPro running under Parallels 4.0. I have only SU7 loaded on Vista. Navigator PE runs on SU7-Vista, but is unusably slow. This is a great disappointment because I wanted to use Camtasia Studio to record a model using Navigator to "fly around" the model.
Bummer :x
It's hard to be a turkey when you fly with eagles
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Please go to System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion -> Configure -> Install Plug-ins... this should install the PlugIn for SketchUp 7.
Robert Stadie
Bob James

Still doesn't work in SU7

Post by Bob James »

Did as you suggested: Still doesn't work in SU7, but also still does work in SU6.

Now what?[/u]
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Do you have a case-sensitive filesystem? Do you have 3DxSketchUp.budle.plugin and 3DxSketrchUp.rb located in

Code: Select all

/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins
? Is there more than one installation of SketchUp 7 on your Mac?
Robert Stadie
Bob James

Post by Bob James »

Robert,

Apparently the install program located SU6 and installed the files in the Plugins folder, but then did not look for SU7. Both are installed on my MacPro.

Once I copied the files from the SU6 plugins folder to the SU7 folder everything works (albeit slowly).

It is not at all uncommon for SketchUp users to have both SU6 and SU7 installed. It might be a good idea to note that somewhere in the installation instructions.

Thank you for the solution.

Bob James
parsipal

Post by parsipal »

Where can i find "3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin" and "3DxSketchUp.rb"?
SO I CAN PUT THEM IN PLUGIN DIRECTORY ON MY OWN WITHOUT INSTALL PROCESS.
Thank you
Parsipal
Bob James

Post by Bob James »

As I recall, the rb files come on the CD with the device.
bradygilchrist

SketchUp

Post by bradygilchrist »

I'm having the same problem. This looks like a reoccurring problem for Mac users. Any resolution?

1 version of SketchUp 7 and no Sketch Drivers installing in the application support directories after going through all the documented steps from installation. I'd say it's an installer bug.

I contacted support - while nice they did not have a solution - they were helpful in pointing me back to where I started -- all while gently informing me that the Personal Edition of the spacenavigator has no support. Shame.

B
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Do you have several folders for SketchUp lokated under

Code: Select all

/Library/Application Support/
?
Robert Stadie
eskoe37

Post by eskoe37 »

i do not have several folders for sketchup. i cannot see the /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins folder. not even with my sketchup 6 files, and in sketchup 6 the navigator still works.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

You do not even find the SketchUp 6 folder if you click in finder on your System harddrive and then on /Library/Application Support/ ? Can you locate 3DxSketchUp.rb with Spotlight and where is it located?
Robert Stadie
eskoe37

Post by eskoe37 »

actualy no, i CANNOT find the file: 3dxsketchup.rb .

i CAN find the sketchup 6 and 7 folders in Application Support, and like i mentioned, my navigator IS still working in sketchup 6 (as it does with maya 2008), just not in sketchup 7.

i tried re-installing the drivers from your site, but stil yield the same results. my next attempt will be removing sketchup 6 from my machine and with only version 7 installed, update the 3dnav drivers and see what results i have with that. unfortunately i still need the efficiency in working with my 3dnavigator so i cannot uninstall sketchup 6 for a few days
EMoeller

SketchUp V7.0.10248 for Mac No Plugins

Post by EMoeller »

I just downloaded the latest version of Sketchup for Mac (see above version) and am unable to use my Spacenavigator for Notebook on my MacBook Pro. I have followed this thread and trashed my earlier SketchUp V6 files (all of them). The Plug-In appears to install but is NOT recognized by Sketchup (confirmed by checking Preferences Extensions).

Note that I also have an older MacPro G4 with the latest version of Sketchup and a regular Spacenavigator PE which works fine (plugins installed and show up under Sketchup Preferences Extensions).

So there seems to be some sort of bug with the either the Spacenavigator for Notebooks or running the plug-in for Sketchup on an Intel Mac.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Please open a console window - are there are any error messages when you start SketchUp? Maybe this thread will also help you.
Robert Stadie
EMoeller

No Sketchup 7 Support

Post by EMoeller »

Bob, I looked at that thread as well as the others.

As I said, the Plug-In install says that it was installed successfully, but a search of my hard disk shows neither of the two files anywhere (same as everyone else notes in the forums).

There is a problem with the Plug-In Installer. Kindly send me the two files and I can add them to the /Library/Application Support/Sketchup/plugin subdirectory and I should be set to go.

Given the large number of complaints on this issue in the forums and the length of time these complaints have been ongoing it seems odd that a solution has not been found yet.

FYI - I upgraded to the latest version of Mac OX 10.5.7 last night, reinstalled Sketchup v7 and the Spacenavigator for Notebooks and change in the problem - nothing works for Sketchup 7 but I do have support for GE.

Regards,

ERic