Sketchup 6!!!!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Woldman

Sketchup 6!!!!

Post by Woldman »

Hi Everyone,

Sketchup 6 is out! Check www.sketchup.com
Only one thing, the 3DConnexion devices don't work anymore. Maybe you'll need to reinstall the driver. One guy said somthing about copying the plugin folder from Sketchup 5 to Sketchup 6 and then it works. Have not tried this yet.

B | Woldman
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Woldman,
The next release of 3DxSoftware (v. 3.1) will include an update to the installation 3DxSketchUp (3Dconnexion Extension for SketchUp) that will support SketchUp 6. That is schedule to be available later in the month.
In the meantime. you can -- as you referred -- copy the "3DxSketchUp.rb" Ruby script and "3DxSketchup" folder under the "Plugins" folder of SketchUp 5 to the corresponding folder of SketchUp 6.
Nuno Gomes
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

3DxSoftware 3.1.1 is now on the web available as a beta for download, and includes the plug-in for SketchUp 6.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
rasqual

Post by rasqual »

Oh great. And they release a new version that doesn't support Vista.

About the time this 3D driver supports Vista, a new Sketchup doesn't.

:-\
Woldman

Post by Woldman »

Wel the Driver is working, but Sketchup also, just sellect Windows XP SP2 Copatibility before running and it installs. It still doesn't really understand the vista aero interface, but it works!
penorjr

Post by penorjr »

Hello Woldman,

SN will work fine in SU 6, if you download the Beta driver. One word of caution, though...remove the installer from your Desktop prior to download, if it was used to install drivers other than the Beta one. I learned this the hard way. There is a note on the Web Site about the Beta Driver supporting SU6.

Hope this helps...
Earl
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi penorjr,
penorjr wrote:One word of caution, though...remove the installer from your Desktop prior to download, if it was used to install drivers other than the Beta one. I learned this the hard way.
What do mean exactly? We are quite interested in any information regarding issues with our software. We have never had the need to delete the download package before, nor did we have this reported before.
Nuno Gomes
penorjr

Post by penorjr »

When I first downloaded the Drivers, I still had SU5 and SU6 on board. I am on the Google SketchUp Beta Test Team, Which is why I had both. Anyhow, I decided not to download your Beta Version until I felt comfortable using SN. However, I was not aware that the Driver for SU6 was on the Beta Download! Nowhere is that stated until you go to the Beta Driver Download...which is why others on the Forum had similar complaints of SN not working in SU6! It took me awhile to figure out that the Driver was going to SU5.

My suggestion is to provide a statement upfront that alerts others that they need to download the Beta Driver...if they are using SU6.

The other issue; the Beta Driver did not overwrite the Desktop Driver Package which made SN still inoperative in SU6. After I removed the downloaded Installer Package from the Desktop and downloaded the Beta Installer...it worked just fine.

Earl
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi penorjr,
penorjr wrote:The other issue; the Beta Driver did not overwrite the Desktop Driver Package which made SN still inoperative in SU6.
Can you explain what the "Desktop Driver Package" is?
penorjr

Desktop Installer

Post by penorjr »

Sorry...should have said Installation Package.
When I download the Drivers from a Web Site...I have it set to go to my Desktop and Install from there.

Earl
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi penorjr,
So, you download the package to your Desktop and then run it from there to install? That's fine. I do that myself. There shouldn't be any need to delete the executable but it doesn't hurt either.