How can I access 3DxStudio states using 3ds MaxScript?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Aaron Boonshoft

How can I access 3DxStudio states using 3ds MaxScript?

Post by Aaron Boonshoft »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to experiment with 3Dconnexion 3D mice using MaxScript in Autodesk 3ds Max. (No mice will be harmed.) I just want to see if I can further extend what the 3D mouse can be used for, or extend the interface in way that makes it even easier to use.

However, I don't know how, or even if it is possible, to access the "state" of the plugin, 3DxStudio, using MaxScript. By state, I am referring to things like what is the "Center of Rotation" (Camera/View, Focal Point, or Scene/Object), is "Lock to 3D View" set, what is the current "Sensitivity" setting, and other states corresponding to the settings that are viewable in the 3DxStudio control panel.

Can these states be accessed from MaxScript? If so, how? I'm thinking that the 3Dconnexion SDK kit would allow me to write a plugin from scratch (if I knew how to do something like that), but not necessarily provide access to the states of the 3D mouse while using it with 3DxStudio. Am I wrong?

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Aaron Boonshoft, 3D Mouse Enthusiast
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Aaron Boonshoft,

Our apologises for taking so long to reply.

The plug-in for 3ds Max does not expose its state. This would have to be developed (and maintained) as a new feature.

I you can, of course, develop a plug-in for 3ds Max should would expose that state.
Nuno Gomes