Space Explorer and Mac OSX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bishop666

Space Explorer and Mac OSX

Post by bishop666 »

Has anyone noticed that the 3Dconnecion web site indicates that the S Explorer is Mac compatible and goes on to list the programs for which it is "certified." What exactly does "certified" mean to them? In this regard, the S Explorer is no more functional than the S Navigator since none of its extra buttons seem to be programmable for several of the "certified" software packages that are listed on their site. But, curiously enough, the buttons are programmable when used for various Mac OSX desktop functions.

Is there any mention on the site that the S Explorer's extra buttons (beyond 1&2) are not programmable for the certified Mac software ... of course not. I don't get it! All this nonsense about not being able to gain access to the programming code for these various software packages??? We (my production company's editing suite)have numerous ************ whose programmable buttons work as they should in the very same Mac software that the S Explorer fails miserably in.

It would seem that 3DConnexion should come clean and admit that they have no intention of supporting the Mac (IMO a poor business decision), or, at least it appears that they do not, since nothing positive has been done in that regard over the past year or so. I could say more but I will conclude by saying that I, like others, feel betrayed.

-----
Edit (moderator): don't post ads (see BOARD RULES).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hello Bishop:

Please see this post:

viewtopic.php?t=335
bishop666

RE: referenced post

Post by bishop666 »

Hi Fred:
Thank you for the link, however, the information merely reinforces the point of my rant, since it was posted in January of 2007, a year and a half ago. Clearly, nothing has been done to increase Mac compatibility and yet, the manufacturer's web site hawks compatibility with words like, "certified." In essence, there is some level of function for the Space Navigator but advertising that the Space Explorer is compatible and "certified" for programs like Poser and Poser Pro when in actuality its functional capability is no more able than that of the lesser, Space Explorer, can be construed by the consumer as blatant misrepresentation.

Of course, one can debate the meaning or intent for use of the word "Certified," however, in my humble opinion, a reasonable person would be hard pressed to interpret it to mean anything less than the device being capable of full function in the respective environment (i.e. listed software program).

In summary, I appreciate the time you spent reading my post but, unfortunately, the referenced link only serves to add fuel to the fire.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Different applications have different levels of support that they provide for 3Dconnexion devices. Some applications like Maya, SketchUp, Blender, Photoshop to name a few allow for full programmability of SpaceExplorer buttons.

Other applications are more geared for use with SpaceNavigator and may only support 2 programmable buttons. We are talking with all application vendors that support us on the Mac, to inform them of how they can take advantage of devices with more buttons.
bishop666

Mac OSX

Post by bishop666 »

Thank you for your reply and information.
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

I totally agree with bishop666. I own a *********** and it is configurable for any application. Though I must say it's a good thing the state of the art 3D application use built in support for this nifty device. But it should be easy to extend the functionality with an extra driver. Like some Frenchman did for the Windows version. I know there is a driver for OS X to use a lot of different HID's like joysticks, mice and stuff. I believe it is called USB Overdrive, yes it is (just checked). I have to check it out if that thing will work with the SpaceNavigator. If it does, 3DConnexion, buy the rights from this dude and make it a part of the package!

-----
flip and rotate
bishop666

3rd party drivers

Post by bishop666 »

Hello Mischa:

Just thought that you might like to know that I tried "Overdrive" as well as "ControllerMate" and neither one works with the Space Explorer. In the case of Overdrive, the program seems to be blocked by the 3DConnexion driver and I fear that removing the driver would create problems with the joystick as Overdrive does not offer the full range of movements. As for ControllerMater, the program itself only recognizes a few of the buttons, 5 to be exact, and I found that programming even these few buttons were of no value in either Poser Pro or C4D R11 (note: the buttons were programmable in C4D R10.5 but there were no 3D movements, now in R11, we're faced with the opposite situation).

So, until either Maxon or SmithMicro do something to allow their software to recognize the 3D driver or 3DConnexion produces a new driver we are, as they say on the street, SOL.

As an interim solution, the ********** buttons can be programmed for either or both of the aforementioned programs. BTW, the 3D Mice are currently problematic in Poser (7 or pro) in regards to multiple characters or the closing and opening of a new file with a new character since the second occurrence results in the mouse exhibiting bizarre behavior that makes it totally and completely useless. I did discuss this with SmithMicro and was told that they were aware of the problem, whatever that means.

-----
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

Hello Bishop,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried ControllerMate and it seems to be programmable in many ways. I use a SpaceNavigator, so the extra buttons are not an issue in my case. With ControllerMate I can assign scrollwheelmovements to the axis of de SN. This makes the SN much more functional in standard apps. With alle the options of ControllerMate I am able to program the SN in depth. I have to toy around with it first to see if I can make it really work. I think the biggest problem in your case is that the buttons in the 3DConnexion software must all be disabled so you can use them in ControllerMate.
The ********* is a nice solution to use extra buttons. Good idea!

-----
flip and rotate