Is it not possible to use Wireless Spacemouse without the bluetooth dongle

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

MuttakiNl

Is it not possible to use Wireless Spacemouse without the bluetooth dongle

Post by MuttakiNl »

Hi,

I am using a mouse from Logitech which comes with a bluetooth dongle but MacOS is able to connect it without using the dongle. Does Space Mouse Wireless have to use the dongle in any case? Mac notebooks usually do not have normal USB input, they are all type-C. If that was possible, it would be great. I would appreciate your response.
luping

Re: Is it not possible to use Wireless Spacemouse without the bluetooth dongle

Post by luping »

You actually have a choice: the Bluetooth edition of SpaceMouse Pro Wireless:
https://3dconnexion.com/us/product/spac ... -wireless/
KatAdair

Post by KatAdair »

Nope, one of my biggest complaints is that it requires a dongle, when ALL Macs have Bluetooth built in. Makes no sense. I have the small Space Mouse, which comes in a nifty case, but I still have to lug around a USB old-style adapter to USB-C to make it work. If it's a matter of cost, I would HAPPILY pay extra not to have a dongle. I bought FIVE of the little dongle adapter things from B&H Photo because I WILL lose them.

We're Mac people...we don't do dongles! :D
-------------------------------
CAD Trainer SketchUp/ZBrush/Shapr3D
Mountains of Colorado
cursewig

Post by cursewig »

KatAdair wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 am Nope, one of my biggest complaints is that it requires a dongle, when ALL Macs have Bluetooth built in. Makes no sense. I have the small Space Mouse, which comes in a nifty case, but I still have to lug around a USB old-style adapter to USB-C to make it work. If it's a matter of cost, I would HAPPILY pay extra not to have a dongle. I bought FIVE of the little dongle adapter things from B&H Photo because I WILL lose them.

We're Mac people...we don't do dongles! :D
Oh I think using a dongle is quite good. I hope you will try using it once. I think you will like it.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Driver release notes say :

"Note: Wireless CadMouse devices are not supported with the Universal Receiver since buttons
will not “click” on recent versions of Apple macOS. Instead, wireless CadMouse devices can be
used over Bluetooth or a cable connection. Wireless SpaceMouse devices are not affected by
this limitation and can be used with a Universal Receiver."

So I always understood it that 3DConnexion devices on Mac will not work by a USB dongle
but directly via Bluetoth instead.

Or is this for CADMouse only.

(I personally prefer USB cables for all my input devices. I am each time annoyed when a
wireless keyboard's batteries are empty)