Excel Horizontal Scroll

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dougmurrray85

Excel Horizontal Scroll

Post by dougmurrray85 »

The combination to horizontally scroll in Excel is Control+Shift+Mousewheel

I can successfully get vertical scrolling and zooming (Montrol+Mousewheel) to work in Excel, but I am unable to get Control AND Shift AND Mousewheel to trigger in the .xml

What am I missing?

Code: Select all

<AxisBank>
        <Name>Default</Name>
        <ID>Default</ID>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>false</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>false</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>false</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>false</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <Modifiers>
              <Modifier>Control</Modifier>
              <Modifier>Shift</Modifier>
            </Modifiers>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
      </AxisBank>
jwick

Re: Excel Horizontal Scroll

Post by jwick »

Sorry. Two modifiers on same mouse event doesn't work with the built-in implementation.
It can only be done by the driver extension at this time.
I did notice that our horizontal scroll (custom code implementation) doesn't seem to work in Excel anymore.
dougmurrray85

Post by dougmurrray85 »

That is both disappointing and exceptionally frustrating to hear.

3D Connexion have completely dropped the ball with their driver and have broken features that had been working consistently for decades. They are spending all these resources marketing their brand, but they do not deliver a product that is worth the investment. I have zero reason to upgrade from a SpaceMouse Compact, because the expanded controls I seek are currently impossible to implement... :evil:
jwick

Post by jwick »

I'm sorry to disappoint such a long-time customer, and consistent forum contributor.

We had a closer look at the Excel issues.

Our built-in horizontal scroll is working well (once I fixed my cfg file). Does it not work for you?

The two modifiers on a MouseWheel issue has always existed. It is bug # WIN-432.
I think you are the second user to have noticed it.
(Which is no excuse for not addressing it)
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Out of the box for me in Excel (no custom cfg): Rx = vertical scroll, Ry = horizontal scroll. Works fine. No zoom implemented, though Ctrl+Wheel would be supported - I suppose Y would be the CAD users' choice.
Michael Hoopes
dougmurrray85

Post by dougmurrray85 »

mhoopes wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:16 pm Out of the box for me in Excel (no custom cfg): Rx = vertical scroll, Ry = horizontal scroll. Works fine. No zoom implemented, though Ctrl+Wheel would be supported - I suppose Y would be the CAD users' choice.
Zoom isn't necessary, it's just me confirming that modifiers work. The out of the box controls are broken for me. Instead of scrolling, the entire Excel window budges by about 10px then recentres when I let go of the SpaceMouse.
jwick

Post by jwick »

dougmurrray85 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:34 pm
mhoopes wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:16 pm Out of the box for me in Excel (no custom cfg): Rx = vertical scroll, Ry = horizontal scroll. Works fine. No zoom implemented, though Ctrl+Wheel would be supported - I suppose Y would be the CAD users' choice.
Zoom isn't necessary, it's just me confirming that modifiers work. The out of the box controls are broken for me. Instead of scrolling, the entire Excel window budges by about 10px then recentres when I let go of the SpaceMouse.
The nudging of the window is supposed to indicate that you've reached the end of the spreadsheet. I'm not sure how well it works. It should only happen when trying to move past the top and left side, if the spreadsheet is bigger than the window. Toward the bottom and right, it should extend the spreadsheet. Maybe there is a bug that causes it to nudge more often.

I always have troubles with pushing the cap, when the cfg uses the tilting axes to move. I'm not sure which is more intuitive. We decided to use all rotations, to match a traditional joystick. You can change it.

I've made a note about the multiple modifiers. I hope to fix it without breaking something else.
dougmurrray85

Post by dougmurrray85 »

jwick wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 am
The nudging of the window is supposed to indicate that you've reached the end of the spreadsheet. I'm not sure how well it works. It should only happen when trying to move past the top and left side, if the spreadsheet is bigger than the window. Toward the bottom and right, it should extend the spreadsheet. Maybe there is a bug that causes it to nudge more often.

I always have troubles with pushing the cap, when the cfg uses the tilting axes to move. I'm not sure which is more intuitive. We decided to use all rotations, to match a traditional joystick. You can change it.

I've made a note about the multiple modifiers. I hope to fix it without breaking something else.
I checked with a non-empty spreadsheet with cells filled past the viewable window and made sure the widow was not maximised. Confirming that the scrolling is definitely not working.

For me as a CAD creator, translating on the axes is the more intuitive for panning, scrolling and zooming.
X = Right/Left Pan
Y = Push/Pull Zoom
Z = Lift/Press Up/Down Scroll

I can edit the .xml to get these to work, but users shouldn't have to and like CAD integration should be as easy to swap in the driver interface.
Pvirgo

Post by Pvirgo »

dougmurrray85 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:59 pm
jwick wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 am

I checked with a non-empty spreadsheet with cells filled past the viewable window and made sure the widow was not maximised. Confirming that the scrolling is definitely not working.

For me as a CAD creator, translating on the axes is the more intuitive for panning, scrolling and zooming.
X = Right/Left Pan
Y = Push/Pull Zoom
Z = Lift/Press Up/Down Scroll

I can edit the .xml to get these to work, but users shouldn't have to and like CAD integration should be as easy to swap in the driver interface.
Thanks for this guide and telling the keys as well.
It is helpful.