problem with center of rotation in 3ds max (spacenavigator)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

miabe07

problem with center of rotation in 3ds max (spacenavigator)

Post by miabe07 »

hi there,

first I have to say: what a great device!

but I have a problem with configuring the center of rotation in max which makes it quite unusable for me:

when I use my mouse I can rotate an object around its volume no matter where the pivot point of the object is (technically I need the pivot point to be far away from the geometry itself).
with the spacanavigator the rotation always occurs around the pivot point of the object. is there a way to avoid this?

cheers,
michael
sorin

Post by sorin »

focal point rotation?
miabe07

Post by miabe07 »

hm, no "focal point" does not work for me as it uses the camera focus to rotate about. I would like to rotate about the center of the bounding box of the object like max usually does in user view.

it's strange that the spacenavigator plugin does not imitate just the default max behavior.

does anyone have the same issues? maybe it's more a bug than a feature ;)
sorin

Post by sorin »

i think you could make a request to have the bounding box center as rotation center for a future 3ds max driver. something similar like when you hit ALT and mouse middle button and rotate (sub-object orbit).

most people don't need pivots far away (i'm centering pivots in all arch viz i do) but if you're into game development you might need the pivot in the center of the world for example.
miabe07

Post by miabe07 »

thanks for the quick reply!
I already send an email to the support but no answer yet...

I will post it if I find out more.