SuSE 10.2 support / libusb instead of usbfs?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Hans Meine

SuSE 10.2 support / libusb instead of usbfs?

Post by Hans Meine »

Hi!

I have just received my brand-new Space Pilot, but if I understand correctly, I cannot use it because all computers in our cluster are equipped with SuSE 10.2 and compiling my own kernel is not really an option (all computers are supposed to have identical software setups).

From https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=210899 I understand that SuSE made a mistake by disabling usbfs completely in 10.2, but obviously there are security issues (non-changeable permissions) and e.g. /dev/bus/usb is superior, so maybe the driver could be made running without /proc/bus/usb?

Here's a lot of information: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=210899

Anyhow, the driver does not work because of this:
/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have motif installed, but it is a newer version (libXm.so.4), so is there a matching driver?
And why does the *daemon* need motif? (Looks like a design error to me..)

Hoping for some feedback,
Hans M.
Hans Meine

Post by Hans Meine »

Hi again,

by linking libXm.so.4 to libXm.so.3 (urgh!) I got the driver running, and using -d usb it found my Space Pilot, even though there is no usbfs in sight!

So maybe all the docs (installation instructions etc.) are just out of date?

Anyhow, I got xcube running and it does not look bad so far.

Greetings,
Hans
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Hans,

I'm glad you got the driver running. Yes, the link from one version of the libXm to another is not very fine. We will review this.

If the driver found the device then the usbfs is mounted on your machine. You can check this with the command "mount". It prints out the mounted file systems and there should be a line like this:
  • usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Hans Meine

Post by Hans Meine »

If the driver found the device then the usbfs is mounted on your machine. You can check this with the command "mount".
Absolutely not. I am 100% sure that usbfs is not mounted (and I know a dozen ways to check that), and as you can see from the link I posted, it is absolutely impossible with the 2.6.18.2-34-default kernel from SuSE 10.2 (which I am running) to mount usbfs, since the usbfs sources were completely removed from the kernel.

Still, the 3dxware driver (v 1.3.0) seems to be working (i.e. the xcube example works).