Strange coupled panning and zoom in SolidWorks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

noodlenoggin

Strange coupled panning and zoom in SolidWorks

Post by noodlenoggin »

Hello all, I have a strange problem with SolidWorks - in one particular assembly, zooming in and out also pans diagonally up and to the left, and down and to the right, respectively. I have had this occur before to another assembly, and could never figure out a cause or solution. Other assemblies seem unaffected. Have anyone seen this behavior before? Thanks very much!
Christian
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

hi noodlenoggin,

Check if "perspective" view is selected. If it is, change to parallel (or orthogonal) projection.
Nuno Gomes
noodlenoggin

Post by noodlenoggin »

Hi Nuno!

You have solved the problem!! I can't express how grateful I am for your help. Wow, what a relief! Thank you, thank you.

Maybe 3DConnexion could look into a software fix for this issue? Or is it SolidWorks' domain?

Christian
andyg

Strange panning behaviour

Post by andyg »

Hi,
I am well aware of the need to turn perspective off in assemblies to avoid the ridiculous panning behaviour, so I do.
However, I still get strange behaviour on zooming, with my assembly flying off the corner of the screen whilst zooming. Where it flies off doesn't vary, but what doesn't vary is that I'll have to be compensating for it by panning the device far harder than I'm zooming.
What tends to happen is that as I'm adding to an assembly, at some point the behaviour is triggered irreversably. Yesterday I added a spring part to my assembly and this behaviour started. If I supress that part, it doesn't fix the problem.
I've had this problem with Solidworks 2007 and 2008 on all service packs with many assemblies, particularly as they grow. Seems a sub-assembly can "infect" a bigger one too.
Once again it's NOT perspective mode. On affected assemblies if I turn this on, it makes the problem even worse.
My solution so far has been not to use the spacetraveller on affected assemblies as it's literally unusable.
Has anyone found what causes this?
noodlenoggin

Strange panning behaviour

Post by noodlenoggin »

I noticed that the center of rotation and zoom defaults to the center of the assembly, so if you are zoomed in at one of the extremities of the assy it can appear to fly off the screen upon zoom or rotation. Did you try setting the center point? There is a button for it on the toolbar, and you can select a vertex or point.
n0f8r

hello 3DCon ? anyone going to answer Noodles followup?

Post by n0f8r »

I figured out this perspective zoom issue as well after much frustration and was very happy for a while.

However I am now finding that not being able to use the perspective view is impairing my productivity.

My assemblies involve many repetitions of the same parts and without the perspective view it's a harder to see at a glance which parts are in the foreground and which in the background.

In fact of course without the perspective view, parts of the same size in the parallel view are distorted by distance and seem to be larger.

These factors make it harder to orientate my assemblies since something which is obvious at a glance in the perspective view, now requires concentration.

So is this something 3D is going to fix? or is it a SW problem?
GMckeown

Unlikely

Post by GMckeown »

This has been an issue for the 10 years I've used SolidWorks and 3D connexion controllers, so I doubt anyone is going to fix it.
I think the problem is the way SolidWorks calculates the center of rotation in perspective mode, but I'm not a programmer, so I could be wrong.
3 levels of anti-bot questions to register? Really? That can't really be needed.
baniels

Re: Strange coupled panning and zoom in SolidWorks

Post by baniels »

Bump.

Will this ever be fixed?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi baniels,

It is a known issue (tracked internally with number 6214). The issue is the add-in (3Dconnexion software) not correctly calculating the transalation (pan and zoom) movement when perspective movement is enabled.

We have been trying to resolve it but so far we have not been able to.
n0f8r

Post by n0f8r »

wow, I don't have the words - this is an issue I've been following for years. To finally hear that it's a 3dconnexion issue and not a solidworks one, as was suggested in this thread and others, is something of a mindblower.

The thing is, my space-explorer is f#cking brilliant, manipulating parts and assemblies without it is like trying to run with my shoe-laces tied.

But equally, not being able to use the perspective view is a huge handicap, models and assemblies are totally distorted. It's just not as big a handicap as working without the 3d mouse.

Please, Please, Please, fix this ......

please ....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi n0f8r,
To finally hear that it's a 3dconnexion issue and not a solidworks one,
The issue is in the navigation calculations done in the add-in (there is no 3D mouse support native to SolidWorks) and 3Dconnexion has been trying to resolve it for quite some time, yes. We have not been able to do so.
please ....
If it was only a question of time commited to fixing it, it would have been done years ago.
NetCop

Post by NetCop »

Any updates on the issue? It's 2014 already. Time to master those three dimensions. :|
NetCop

Post by NetCop »

The bug is still there in the new version 10.1 :shock:
arkw44

Post by arkw44 »

In this new version it repaired? I need to know to buy the new version
NetCop

Post by NetCop »

Nope, 10.1.2 does not fix it.