GDL'd sdk and driver

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Absum

GDL'd sdk and driver

Post by Absum »

Are there any plans of releasing a GPL version of the driver and/or the SDK? I think it would make alot of difference when it comes to integrate your hardware in non-proffesional and open-source projects... but then i guess im not the first to ask about it either.

Anyway i couldn't find a thread about it so i thought id start one.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Absum,

If this helps, you don't need the 3Dconnexion driver or SDK to access 3Dx hardware. The devices are standard USB/HID devices. You can use existing O/S functions to access the data. It may be a bit more work, but it is free from any sort of license. If you do this, I'd suggest just supporting USB devices. There wil never be another serial device.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Absum,

For simplicity's sake, we also ship a new COM -based API since release 3.1. It allows developers to build support for 3Dx devices in their applications without statically linking to any proprietary binary code or including non-GPL source.
Documentation on the interface can be found on the SDK page. Do note that the API is part of the normal software distribution.
Nuno Gomes
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

Check out this post for details on my free implementation of both driver and SDK for linux: viewtopic.php?t=1310