Mounting a SpaceNavigator

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

davelondon

Mounting a SpaceNavigator

Post by davelondon »

Does the SpaceNavigator (or the SpaceNavigator for Notebooks) have any screw-holes on the bottom that I could use to mount it securely on a flat surface?

I'm looking for a gaming setup, and I'm worried in the heat of battle I'll be accidentally lifting the thing off the desk...
UtaSH

Re: Mounting a SpaceNavigator

Post by UtaSH »

Hi davelondon,

there is nothing prepared on the housing to be mounted. Note that if you open the device to make changes to the housing this will break the warranty of the 3D mouse.
davelondon

Post by davelondon »

Not a problem. I'll glue it, or use those little sticky foam pads.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

When I say gram I really mean 9.8 milli-newtons = 0.001 Kg accelerated at 9.8m/s^2.
The Space Navigator weights about 460 grams. Max translational input is about 350 grams. So when maxing up-input you still have about 100 grams holding it down. The 460 grams pressing down coupled with the (high static friction pad) combo does a good job at keeping the device very steady.
(although if you pull up hard while at the same time push sideways hard it might still shift a bit)

If this still wasn't enough you could use a clamp with a soft gripping material to not tarnish the surface, but I doubt you'd need to. I do wish the springs were stiff enough to warrant the use of a clamp though.