Re-Configuring the Axis / Rotation Settings

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JamesC

Re-Configuring the Axis / Rotation Settings

Post by JamesC »

I am very interested in incorporating the 3D Connexion wireless spacemouse into my daily life in Solidworks. I purchased one a month or so ago.

However, I have been pretty disappointed in the mapping of the axes of the mouse in relation to:
a) the screen
b) the axes / rotations relative to themselves when the Zoom direction of “Up/Down” is selected.

I would like to use my standard mouse in my right hand, and the spacemouse in my left hand.

Out of the box, the orientation of the spacemouse axes are in direct conflict with the orientation of the axes of the standard mouse. So, immediately, things are extremely awkward in Solidworks.
I was temporarily overjoyed to see an option the change the zoom direction to “up down”. My excitement quickly fizzled when I realized toggling this setting provides yet an even more strange configuration which appears to be an error.

I have attached several images depicting the situation below.

NOTE: A very good friend of mine uses the cad program Alibre. In his software, when he toggles the Zoom direction to be “Up/Down”, his axes are all re-oriented properly (which leads me to believe there is an error in the solidworks interface to the 3D mouse).

I will say the motion feels extremely elegant / smooth, etc. I *want* to be able to use it. (In my robotics-design life, I’d tell the software guy, “You accidentally swapped the Yaw and Roll joints – swap them please and I’d be happy as a clam").

3D Connexion: I hope there is an easy way to reconfigure the axes to work properly. Otherwise, I unfortunately have a device that I cannot use. I want to love this thing, buy one for my office, one to keep in my laptop bag, etc., but for now, I can’t even use it. I've been thinking it might be nice to get the big one with all of the extra hotkeys, etc. But I can't go down the road of using one if the axes are not set up properly.

Is there a way I can reconfigure the axes / rotation settings properly?

-James