troubles communicating with SB 5000 ser in terminal

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

bnemec

troubles communicating with SB 5000 ser in terminal

Post by bnemec »

Hello, I was hoping to use a 4000 FLX (I think it also goes by 5000 FLX-A or 5000 serial) as a HMI on different microcontroller based projects. I have no desire for using it on PC, I have a slightly newer USB model for that. To get started however I'm trying to communicate using CuteCom (I wish there was linux equiv of Brey Term) anyways I can only get button packets, no axis data. I've scoured driver code from SpaceOrb, Orbduino, spacenavd and probably others looking for help. I've tried two init strings "\rCB\rNT\rFT?\rFR?\rP@r@r\rMSSV\rZ\rBcCcCcC\r" and "\rm3\rpBB\rz\r" both of them cause the device to stop sending even button events until I close and reopen the comm port. I have uninstalled all drivers and programs relating to space mice or 3d connexion. I'm running 9600, 8, N, 1; although I've tried the other bauds as well.

I know that the serial devices are no longer supported and that I should throw them away, I've read that many times. Problem is using USB to communicate with a microcontroller is doable, but UARTs are much more straight forward.

Thanks for your time,

Ben Nemec
bnemec

Re: troubles communicating with SB 5000 ser in terminal

Post by bnemec »

Ooops, I knew I'd forget something. It is an IBM branded device if that makes a difference.