Why no separate settings for camera and object control??

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

WishEater

Why no separate settings for camera and object control??

Post by WishEater »

The Navigator works great, but one thing that bugs me a LOT is the fact that I can't separately adjust settings for object control and camera control, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way of setting it up. If it's planned for the next release then please let me know.

Basically when in camera mode (haven't selected an object, and move my camera around objects) I want:
Higher overall sensitivity
About the same sensitivity for pan and rotate
Lock Horizon
"Dominant" option off
Forward/Back zoom direction

When I click on an object I want:
Lower overall sensitivity
Lower rotate sensitivity compared to pan
No locked horizon
"Dominant" option on
Up/Down zoom direction

To adjust it every time is extremely impractical because in Maya I always switch between controlling an object and going around the object with the camera. So far this is a HUGE inconvenience as I have to choose either one or the other. Is there any way how "3DxWare Panel" could support separate options for controlling objects and controlling camera? (For each program of course)
Also the "Popup Menu" should let me change options for objects and camera individually. So for example: I click on an object and turn off "Lock Horizon", then click on the background and turn on "Lock Horizon". Now whenever I move my camera I can do so without moving horizon, but when I select an object I can rotate it in any way I wish.

I seriously don't get why such an option hasn't been implemented yet as it is just so obvious that controlling the camera and objects feel so much different. If such an option is already planned or will now be taken into consideration (it's not hard at all to implement) then please let me know.
If it's already possible then please let me know how.

Thank you very much
WishEater

Re: Why separate settings for camera and object control??

Post by WishEater »

BTW sorry but I missed out 'no' in the title. "Why no separate settings for camera and object control?"
WishEater

Re: Why no separate settings for camera and object control??

Post by WishEater »

.... and if it is hard to detect when you have selected an object in some programs, then just have one of the buttons switch from camera profile to object profile, and back. But this option really needs to be there to take full advantage of this device.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

How about the ability to assign a button on the 3dmouse to swap between different profiles/setups in the driver itself.
Then it would not require the individual software packages to support object/camera/anything detection.
Added functionality to any application...
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
WishEater

Post by WishEater »

Yeh that sounds cool too. Although it should be per application (just like current system) because what I might want in one, I won't necessarily want in the other.
Having two sets of options that can be swapped would be great. However, a little checkbox to allow it to do it automatically based on selection would be great. At least for the main applications like Maya, 3Dsmax, Blender, etc
jwick

Post by jwick »

In 3DxWare 10, you can assign a script to a button. In that script you can do whatever you want, like copying profiles around.