space navigator problem

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ocsav

space navigator problem

Post by ocsav »

Hi, I just bought the space navigator but only now I realize you do not support Linux drivers.
I work with a tool call virtuoso from CADENCE and I only need X Y and Z axis movements and I thought navigator could directly recognize this axis.
Could I developed this interaction based on your Software Developer Kits.
thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ocsav. Although, 3Dconnexion very much welcomes the development of interfaces by third-parties, the SpaceNavigator device is supported only on Windows.
For UNIX, we have the SpaceExplorer which is fully supported on all operating systems.
If you want to use you device on a UNIX operating system, we suggest you change the SpaceNavigator for a SpaceExplorer where at the place of purchase.
Nuno Gomes
ocsav

navigater drivers

Post by ocsav »

Dear support,
thanks for the suggestion, but could you tell me if you are thinking in deliver navigator drivers for Linux in the near future ???
because is a big risk to spend 4 times the initial budget in a gadget that I don’t now if will works in my 2D CADENCE platform.

Regards vasco
ngomes

Re: navigater drivers

Post by ngomes »

Olá ocsav,
ocsav wrote:could you tell me if you are thinking in deliver navigator drivers for Linux in the near future ???
3Dconnexion has no plans to develop a UNIX/Linux driver for the SpaceNavigator.
ocsav wrote: because is a big risk to spend 4 times the initial budget in a gadget that I don’t now if will works in my 2D CADENCE platform.
Quite. Note that 2D CADENCE is not on the list of applications that support 3Dconnexion devices.
You will need to contact the editor of 2D CADENCE and enquire if 3D controller support is a feature of the application.
If you can, we would appreciate if you could post here what you find from them.
Nuno Gomes
Methedras

Post by Methedras »

ngomes wrote:Hi ocsav. Although, 3Dconnexion very much welcomes the development of interfaces by third-parties, the SpaceNavigator device is supported only on Windows.
For UNIX, we have the SpaceExplorer which is fully supported on all operating systems.
If you want to use you device on a UNIX operating system, we suggest you change the SpaceNavigator for a SpaceExplorer where at the place of purchase.
Are you kidding?!

3dconnexion positions the SpaceNavigator PE at an aggressive price to open up the mass market. Then 3dconnexion fails to privide driver support for a large portion of the mass market (Linux and Win2K) and you seriously recommend to shell out the six-fold sum of money for a supported device???

I'm not very positive if the mass market will honor that policy of yours.

As far as "welcomming the development of interfaces by third parties" is concerned:

the three source files provided in the xdevelop.tgz (Unix/Linux "SDK" from your support section) are pitifully outdated (june and october 1997) and lack any documentation regarding the necessary communications protocol and specific control codes etc.

I can see some potential for improvement there as well.