Does the Space Pilot Pro have an internal memory?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Veerod

Does the Space Pilot Pro have an internal memory?

Post by Veerod »

The reason for asking is I've been told by my IT Dept that as the Space Pilot Pro has an internal memory it cannot be connected to company computers due to security concerns.

Can someone advise what the security risks are if any?

Thanks
ngomes

Re: Does the Space Pilot Pro have an internal memory?

Post by ngomes »

Hi Veerod,

The SpacePilot Pro (SPP) is the most advanced device that 3Dconnexion is currently shipping. It includes a fast processor to drive the display (you can watch full-motion video).

As one would expect from any more advanced computer peripheral, the SPP has dedicated processor memory. This memory is not exposed as a USB stick drive or any other type of volume storage.
Veerod

Post by Veerod »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Does the SpaceMouse Pro & Space Explorer also have on board dedicated processor memory?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Does the SpaceMouse Pro & Space Explorer also have on board dedicated processor memory?
Only microcontroller in-chip memory (a few KB worth). I cannot imagine any USB device not having some memory to run the microcontroller firmware.

3Dconnexion does not ship memory for volume storage in our devices.

Some USB devices from other manufacturers enumerate as USB stick drive to distribute the driver software but this is not the case with any 3Dconnexion product.