.500 is too long to wait

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

batkins

.500 is too long to wait

Post by batkins »

Is there a way to shorten the dwell ( {wait} ) time in the 3Dconnexion Custom Function creator?
My department uses Surfcam and there a number of function that require a macro to access via the buttons on my SpaceMouse Pro. Frankly I would prefer to add 10 {wait} at .050 seconds apiece if that long a pause is needed than deal with the 1/2 second lag when I don't need it.

I started in this department with an old Spaceball4000 (serial). Loved the the 3-D rotation. I was hooked! It finally died, and due to budget considerations I did not request another one. I purchased my own Logitech G13 "Gamepad". I sorely missed the 3-D aspect but the macros I could create were great, specifically the adjustable dwell times between keystrokes; I had most down to .050 of a second, just long enough to run through the keystrokes without getting ahead of the program. When I was offered the SpaceMouse I jumped at the chance! Much to my chagrin the new 3Dconnexion macro creator seemed to be the same as the old one. The dwells are necessary for the functions I want but the 1/2 second delay between strokes is slowing me back down. So now I've gone back to switching between the SpaceMouse for view orientation and the keyboard for short-cuts. Or just clicking through the function trees in Surfcam.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Are you referring to the 1-4 buttons along the top of the SpaceMouse Pro? These are the buttons that will bring up the On Screen Display if you hold them down for a little while (.500s?).

You can eliminate that wait by turning off the On Screen Display in the GUI.
batkins

Post by batkins »

jwick. Thank you for your response.
No, not the GUI. I am referring to the macro dwell time in the "Custom Functions" builder in 3Dconnexion's "Button Configuration" tab (found on the properties page).
The "insert pause" option adds a "{Wait}" value that is 1/2 second long. This may not seem much but when I need to add a dwell between each keystroke to allow my program to keep up with the strokes the .500 secs stack up. To the point where it is simpler to click through the function trees of my CAD program.
I am looking for a way to adjust this dwell down. Preferably to around .050 secs.
jwick

Post by jwick »

When you create a macro with a delay in it, it writes the amount of the delay into the .scg file.

For example,
{ USER_003, "something", " +83:2031617 -83:2031617 !500 +68:2097153 -68:2097153 !500" }

!500 is the 500ms delay you are seeing. Try changing that to whatever works with your application (e.g. !50 for 50ms). Use notepad to change the .scg file.
batkins

Post by batkins »

That worked perfectly!
I had been trying to modify the .scg file with terrible results. I had been changing the "!500" to "!050". (The Logitech macro creator I was using previously reads from R>L so the leading zero is required.) So after re-boot the modified profile would not even show up.
Thanks again!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Great.

Which reminds me I need to implement the delay capability in the 3DxWare 10 macro editor...