Tablet support via bluetooth

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Hypersonic

Tablet support via bluetooth

Post by Hypersonic »

Touch screen tablet support would be nice, such as the Apple Ipad, and Android tablets.

There's already the dual fling for the Ipad http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/flin ... thumbs-on/
(but not block the screen like the fling does)
Perhaps a usb-bluetooth adapter could be hooked up to 3DMice to interface with the Ipad via bluetooth
Maybe future models could have bluetooth built-in, along with usb. So you can use the same device with the desktop as with the tablet.

Multi-finger gestures only go so far. Plus having one's hand over the screen while gesturing obviously blocks alot of the screen from view.
Google Earth with full navigation with no hands blocking the screen! Or navigate while finger gesturing other features.
There's plenty of 3D games on the Ipad, including Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, RageHD, Epic Citadel, a ton of simulators.
The gyroscopes/accelerometers can sense some movements, but it can be challenging holding a slightly bulky/heavy tablet.
A 3Dmouse nicely replaces keys/mouse for 3D navigation, with one hand to spare to screen gesture!
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I should of said iOS and Android support via Bluetooth.

Supporting iOS would mean support for both iPads and iPhones. Supporting Android would mean support for both cell phones and tablets using the Android OS.

Because of this, a mini version of the 2DOF fling quickly came out, since support for iOS included the iPhones http://gizmodo.com/5808979/mini-fling-j ... to-iphones (even though those are transparent, seems like it would still warp the light, reducing the visibility of much of the screen..)

But for people to actually try one out (a 3D mouse) in person would be an excellent marketing tool. The flings are available at Apple stores http://news.cnet.com/thumbs-up-ipad-fli ... 508-1.html

If there were demo units of the 3Dmouse at retailers such as the Apple store, where people could try it first hand, playing many of the 3D first person shooters, racing games, flight sims, I think it would grab many peoples attention! The fact that it also works with thier Macs and PCs would be an even bigger incentive to buy one.

The one thing missing from tablets and cell phones are adequate controls for 3D applications. The resolution and framerate are just fine. Perhaps a bluetooth 3Dmouse with a rechargeble battery could be made for portability (weight of the battery would be a good anchor for stability.)

If a bluetooth directinput like API for the OSs doesn't yet exist, perhaps one could be created to pave the way.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I think that's an excellent idea.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Ya, it's like a major gap in which the 3Dmouse would easily fill. I rarely use the 3D apps on my cell phone as the controls make it difficult/awkward to use. It's a shame, as the graphics/res/frame rate are sufficient.

The Logitech Revue with Google TV I believe is Android OS based. Navigating Google Earth on the big screen TV and a 3Dmouse would be a hoot, a great tool to plan a trip with family and friends while sitting down on the couch in the family room. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue The Revue might be wifi / usb only, I'm not sure if has bluetooth as well.
Nicholas Rishel

Post by Nicholas Rishel »

The lack of bluetooth support for the notebook space navigator is the barrier to entry that is keeping me from purchasing.

A wireless dongle, similar to the Logitech's Unifying received, would not be of much use to me, as I would intend to use this with a Slate PC which has very few USB ports to begin with.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Nicholas Rishel wrote:The lack of bluetooth support for the notebook space navigator is the barrier to entry that is keeping me from purchasing.

A wireless dongle, similar to the Logitech's Unifying received, would not be of much use to me, as I would intend to use this with a Slate PC which has very few USB ports to begin with.
I agree. I had quite a time finding one with a USB port that can read a 3D mouse.
3Dtouchaddict

Multi touch CAD app

Post by 3Dtouchaddict »

It would be cool to connect the two. I saw a 3D iPad app come out last month, I'd love to see this integrate itself somehow: http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/12/maide- ... ontroller/

It looks like there's going to be an iPhone application out soon too.
http://blog.maideinc.com/iphoneipod-tou ... cad-remote
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Thats a cool concept, multiple users controlling the same app/model, I agree that this should be integrated with a 3Dmouse.
Imagine a group of engineers at a conference table each with a tablet used by one hand, and a wireless 3Dmouse in the other.
With a push of a button they could manipulate a 3Dmodel displayed on a projector using thier 3Dmouse and use the tablet touchscreen (or smartphone) to point at various features, perhaps even type notes onto the various features of the model.

3d manipulation with a touch screen is awkward. Continuity is problem, and you can't do all 6dof at the same time.

(from the GoogleEarth touch screen app)
1 finger: limited to panning XY (can only pan to edge of screen)
2 fingers: limited to
zoom (can only spread fingers to edge of screen) & yaw (180deg before fingers become 'twisted')
or pitch & yaw( can only move fingers to edge of screen)

3Dmanipulation with gryos, accelerometers, magnetic fields, visual (like Kinect) also have various shortfalls such as:
continuity problems
leave you guessing where exactly is zero input (large deadzones might be created in order to somewhat compensate)
lack suffient degrees of freedom

3Dmice, like joysticks, have no continuity problems.
3Dmice don't suffer latency from having to move it many inches to a new position like joysticks.
They are quick to change input values like 2Dmice.