Idea: Rotation vs. translation dominant mode

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

arpruss

Idea: Rotation vs. translation dominant mode

Post by arpruss »

There is research suggesting that 3D manipulation is faster if one separated the translation and the rotation inputs. The dominant axis mode of the 3dx drivers does something like that, but I've not been a fan of it--it doesn't feel intuitive to me.

So, here's a suggestion: implement a driver mode where you have translation vs. rotation dominance in addition to the existing single-axis dominance mode. When the translation data dominates the rotation data, we get pure translation (along all three axes), and when the rotation data dominates the translation data, we get pure rotation (along all three axes), and of course when there is no domination, we get all zeroes.

I've experimented a little bit with this mode (implemented in the firmware of my SpaceBall 4000 to USB adapter), and it seems to work quite intuitively. My algorithm was simply to count translation as dominant when

Code: Select all

tx^2+ty^2+tz^2 >= 4*(rx^2+ry^2+rz^2)
and rotation as dominant when

Code: Select all

rx^2+ry^2+rz^2 >= 4*(tx^2+ty^2+tz^2)
I considered adding a dead-zone, but it actually seems OK without one.
arpruss

Re: Idea: Rotation vs. translation dominant mode

Post by arpruss »

If anybody wants to see how such a mode feels, it's included in my SpaceMouse for TinkerCAD Chrome extension. Go to the Options for the extension and under dominance choose the Translation vs rotation option.