Can I use my Spacemouse to control a drone?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

skan

Can I use my Spacemouse to control a drone?

Post by skan »

Is it possible to use my Spacemouse Pro to control a drone?
I have a Mavic Pro drone, that can be controlled from a smartphone or from it's Remote Controller that it can be connected to other devices.

It would be nice to use a single 5-axis joystick instead of two.
Hypersonic

Re: Can I use my Spacemouse to control a drone?

Post by Hypersonic »

Drones move just like the 5DOF camera does in Google Earth. I've been using a GoPro drone and think it's rather silly to have one stick control horizontal movements, another stick control yaw and vertical movement, and yet another control for camera pitch control. Put all of that functionality on an intuitive 3DMouse, snap one of these on it on the controller and forget all of those other control sticks!
https://www.3dconnexion.com/company/industrial.html
vickyaheer

Post by vickyaheer »

Every drone has its own functionality. I used one of the drones named Tactic Air drone.
ricard.enquist

Post by ricard.enquist »

I am using the SpaceMouse to control my Mavic Mini, very smooth and easy to fly! It did however require some hardware modifications to the drone RC.

The SpaceMouse connects to a USB host shield on an Arduino Mini, running code which I in large borrowed from this thread (big thanks to users mlkoch and DRogers96): https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5642

The Mavic Mini RC has potentiometers on the joysticks and gimbal wheel so I used five DACs, controlled by the SpaceMouse via Arduino to mimic the viper voltages. This means I had to cut and solder some wires inside the RC. A part from the obvious up/down, right/left and rotation, tilting the mouse forwards and backwards moves the gimbal up and down. The left button on the SpaceMouse inverts left/right movement of the drone, which is very convenient when switching from flying with the camera facing towards or away from your position. Also I added a couple of potentiometers to control the sensitivity of the SpaceMouse, which I found important especially for the rotation of the drone, which in turn is important for making smooth video. I use relays to switch the joystick potentiometer vipers to the DAC's, so if the Arduino fails or power is lost, the relays will switch back to the RC joysticks (otherwise in case of lost power the drone would act as if both joysticks were pulled fully down/left = not good). The Arduino and SpaceMouse runs of power from the Mavic Mini flymore combo battery pack. I mounted everything in a hardcase which fits the Mavic Mini unfolded, for quick deployment. I also checked the RC of Mavic Pro 2 and it uses a different system for the joysticks, with SPI interface, so probably a bit trickier to crack.

As a beginner drone pilot it's incredibly easy to make smooth panning shots with the SpaceMouse! I made this video on a trip to Hokkaido, shot by me and my wife, each having maybe 30min of flight experience with drones: https://youtu.be/CNc-mQ-byyw
Attachments
Packed case.jpg
Packed case.jpg (138.9 KiB) Viewed 42693 times
Open case.jpg
Open case.jpg (157.57 KiB) Viewed 42693 times
DroneControl.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
jwick

Post by jwick »

Fantastic!
bemi

Post by bemi »

Drones move just like the 5DOF camera does in Google Earth. I've been using a DJI Phantom 4 RTK drone and think it's rather silly to have one stick control horizontal movements, another stick control yaw and vertical movement, and yet another control for camera pitch control. Put all of that functionality on an intuitive 3DMouse, snap one of these on it on the controller and forget all of those other control sticks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Far out!!!
minnasane

Post by minnasane »

Similar to how Google Earth's 5DOF camera moves, drones also move. Having one stick control horizontal motions, another stick control yaw and vertical movements, and yet another control for camera pitch control seems very absurd to me after having a DJI Phantom 4 RTK drone heardle game
minnasane

Post by minnasane »

Similar to how the 5DOF camera in Google Earth moves, drones also move. I've been operating a DJI Phantom 4 RTK drone, and I find it quite absurd because one stick controls horizontal movements, another stick controls yaw and vertical motions, and still another joystick is used to regulate camera pitch heardle game