re-add software options for other apps/games

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Artesiastp

re-add software options for other apps/games

Post by Artesiastp »

I'm still using the 3dxlabs beta driver 10.0.15 for my spacepilot pro. It's the best driver I used even though it doesn't support newer software. Reason being the options for an axis to send keyboard, mouse or joystick events. This opens up so many more programs for use with the device than I miss out by using an older driver. Why you dumbed down the release driver compared to the beta has confounded me for years. I keep trying your newer versions to see if it's back in, but always run back to 10.0.15. This driver can't even be see on your site anymore, I hear there was a newer beta driver 10.0.16 which I didn't get before you took 3dxlabs down.

I hear the feature still exists but not in the software, you have to manually edit files. This is unacceptable, I don't have time for that! What a step backwards that would be for me to go from easy to use config options in software to scouring through notepad++ altering text.

Even if were a separate app with minimal or even no support to create profiles it would be better than the current drivers for my needs.

Please reconsider adding software options for customising the axis functions.

Thank you.
wtom

Re: re-add software options for other apps/games

Post by wtom »

I would like to request this as well. Is there any place to get the 10.0.15 beta driver package? I tried 10.0.22 from the website and it does not appear to include the editor.
rainy

Post by rainy »

Where to get the old beta drivers?!
Such a shame for 3dconnexion... very disappointed.
rainy

Post by rainy »

Beta forum is blocked:
viewtopic.php?t=4070

Information
You are not authorized to read this forum.

BTW: The forum looks sad. You make a lot of money selling expensive devices and can't afford a better looking forum.
kevspacenav

Post by kevspacenav »

I would also like to get hold of beta drivers but forum is locked. How do I go about gaining access?
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

The 'Beta forum' was for pre-release versions of the 10.x software back in 2011-ish.
It was closed sometime after the software was officially released.

It has nothing to do with beta versions of current software.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
PsychotropicDog

Post by PsychotropicDog »

Tehrasha wrote:The 'Beta forum' was for pre-release versions of the 10.x software back in 2011-ish.
It was closed sometime after the software was officially released.

It has nothing to do with beta versions of current software.
So you are saying they've only taken 6 years to fubar it into it's current state.

Using the Beta 16 drivers as the new ones are gimped.

3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-16r1544.exe

No I did NOT want a wireless cad mouse, no matter what you email me. Not sure who did, maybe someone who never shopped on amazon and still feels the need for a 7200 dpi mouse.

Pretty sure however that making that old driver available would be more useful to more people.

And yes I am as baffled as the OP.

Though it has been said repeatedly this company seems more interested in telling us what we want than in giving it.
jwick

Post by jwick »

PsychotropicDog,

You really don't want that old beta driver. The current driver is much more stable.
The old GUI that did all the XML editing to allow you to simply add support for new applications is no longer distributed.
But, all the functionality that it triggered is still in the driver. You just have to edit the XML files yourself. Not fun, but hopefully it isn't too difficult.
I'm can try to help you with that if you like.

I thought there still were some forum threads on that, but we can start a new one.
Basically, you have to create a cfg file (an XML file) that tells the driver about your application.
It needs the name of the Executable, and then what you want it to do when that application is in focus.
You can specify what the buttons and the axes do. In both cases, each can emulate other devices (mouse/joystick/keyboard) or call external code that is specifically tailored to your application.

Let's start there.
Artesiastp

Post by Artesiastp »

We're already using the old beta driver. We know the functionality is still in the new driver, but IS to inconvenient to use. I Use my device for both CAD stuff AND games. Configuring for a game requires much tweaking, to get everything just right, and would take far too long editing xml files. That's what this thread is about, requesting either the functionality be added back into the driver, or a separate tool be made for easy creation of the files.

So, yes, we do "want that old beta driver" because it's far easier to use the the current one. The current one may be more stable, but it being harder to use is a dealbreaker.
PsychotropicDog

Post by PsychotropicDog »

I did glance at the recent work-around and wondered if it would be easier to use my old cfg files, which I tried, and it worked until I rebooted, then it did not work. At which point I went on an adventure to get back the old beta 16 drivers.

Here is the old beta 16 for 64bit windows:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asybfr-g1mNMgRkZKtplPfTkp0ne

The old beta drivers ... :
1. let me choose from a list of running programs and build a config file based on a template then assign it to the running program. This is perhaps the best feature that is now missing.
2. had some strange choice of keys for WASD, which I used anyway, as I never bothered to change it and 4 axes layout on a keyboard might take more time than I wanted. It just meant that using the keyboard would be a bit odd, and setting up in game meant noting what key was mapped to what axis.
3. would crash while setting up a config, usually choosing between joystick/keyboard emulation and changing any of the axes. However once a config was complete it did not crash. This seemed to indicate to me it was possible to set up a config for anything.
4. still means fiddling with a config file to get it just right, but no need to build it from scratch or learn xml.

I have configs for:
D1x-rebirth (joystick mode+joystick or WASD+mouse)
NeonXSZ (joystick mode, WASD, even a WASD config with all 6 axes - which might be a good training aid but is really tricky to use)
Overload playable demo (this game is in early access now but I've not got around to it - the spiritual successor to descent)
FreeSpace open (most of the strafe/slide was taken out, but I use spacemouse for throttle and roll)

I am building a linux box so I'm in for a real treat.