Maya - orbiting pivot

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

karmazine

Maya - orbiting pivot

Post by karmazine »

If I am inspecting object (using mouse) for example humanoid model, I use a lot F key framing specific area, then deselecting (because I want to see model clearly, without selected parts visible) and examinig more... I cant use this "method" with my Navigator, because when I deselect, the rotational origin resets to the center of the scene.
can you advice me something?
thanks
karmazine

Post by karmazine »

Is someone there? I bought this device and I am really not satisfied, can at least someone discuss my problems with it?
because I think most of theese can be solved in driver.
thank you very much
agoenczi
User
User

Maya - orbiting pivot

Post by agoenczi »

Hi karmazine

Please be more specific. What would you like to do exactly?

I didn't understand what happens with the different selections, how they are related with the rotation points...
karmazine

Post by karmazine »

I am talking about situation when the rotation pivot is set to "Scene/object", which means that it rotates around object which is selected (or selected vertices,..). If nothing is selected it rotates aroud the whole scene (typicaly point 0,0,0). and that is what is bothering me, because when I am editing specific area, I need to spectate it from number of directions and while it is deselected - to see clearly the shape.
Normaly when I use mouse, it keeps the rotation pivot, whattever is selected. The pivot depends on what you "fit to view" usign F key (or A for whole scene).
thank you for your reply
karmazine

Post by karmazine »

anybody theeeeerreeeeeeeeeee?
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

Hi karmazine,

sorry for the delay. We just tried to investigate the issue you were reporting. I understand that the rotation pivot is set to 'Scene / Object'. Thus the rotation point is set to the center point of the object that is selected. As soon as nothing is selected, the rotation point is at the center of the whole scene. That behaviour is by design.
Did you try to change the rotation point to 'Focal Point'? That sounds more like what you need than 'Scene / Object' but I probably still didn't get the point.
karmazine

Post by karmazine »

yes, I have tried the focal point setting, but I didnt liked it, because it is not as easy to manuever arount the object, as with the object setting and object selected.
The focal point setting is inconvenient for me, because the rotational pivot is not locked on object.

I know how other settings work,

=> the only thing I want, is to make one more option - only "Object" pivot setting, which would be the same as current "object/scene"except the reseting to scene pivot when object is not selected. I it want to behave the same with selected, or deselected object - to remember the last selection pivot.
reasons were described earlier - they can help you to gen it on.

is it clearer?
maybe I can make a short video, If you still dont have any notion...
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

Hello karmazine,

try to disable the 'Fly Mode', select an object and press either F or the Fit button on the device. Please let me know if that resolves your issue.