Sketchup controls similar to Google Earth

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

David.P

Post by David.P »

Oops, just saw the similarity between my Nick and David Phillips.... 8)

.. which is pure coincidence, and we're two different persons.

Cheers David.P
David.P

3Dx Navigation in Google Earth is crappy

Post by David.P »

Still the same clumsy 3Dx navigation in Google Earth after years............. :x

Why the he*k the "center of rotation" must be the camera position, of all things!?

If you pan and rotate in Google Earth using the mouse (middle button!), center of rotation and panning is simply the mouse pointer position, of course, which is GREAT!

3Dx programmers, CAN YOU CHANGE CENTER OF ROTATION TO THE MOUSE POSITION ACCORDINGLY, please? Or if this is not possible, make center of rotation = center of Google Earth window, instead of the stu*id camera position.

Very Annoyed™,
David.P
ngomes

Re: 3Dx Navigation in Google Earth is crappy

Post by ngomes »

Hi David.P,
3Dx programmers, CAN YOU CHANGE CENTER OF ROTATION TO THE MOUSE POSITION ACCORDINGLY, please? Or if this is not possible, make center of rotation = center of Google Earth window, instead of the stu*id camera position.
If it was in our power... GE is maintained by Google and 3Dconnexion developers cannot change the application.

Being Google Earth customers, you can make your views known to Google. I'm sure they listen (even if they are unable to reply to every single query).
David.P

Post by David.P »

OK, I just found out that there actually IS a way to have center of rotation in the center of the Google Earth (GE) window. You have to tick the option "Earth based" under "Navigation" in the GE option settings .

HOWEVER:

1st, GE does not save that setting for whatever reason, and
2nd, the setting only starts to work AFTER you have started and stopped an automatic tour in GE Image

Afterwards, you can enjoy the 3Dx center of rotation in the center of the Google Earth window -- until the next program start of Google Earth Image

David.P
pmolsen

Post by pmolsen »

What do you mean "started and stopped an automatic tour"? There are at least two different types of automatic tour.
pmolsen

Post by pmolsen »

I changed the options to Move the Earth. I then recorded and played back a tour. I tried a time stamp based tour. I tried an AnimatedUpdate type tour. Nothing results in the Spacenavigator acting any differently.

Do you have explicit step-by-step instructions please? And what version of GE and Windows are you on please?
David.P

Post by David.P »

OK, first I start Google Earth. My Space Navigator starts off in "Airplane Mode", meaning center of rotation is "me" aka camera position, and if I turn the Space Navigator knob clockwise, landscape moves counterclockwise. Then I open the GE settings window and change navigation to "Earth based". Nothing happens, nothing changes. Space Navigator remains in in Airplane mode ("User based" navigation setting in GE).

Then, I type any town or address into the search field in GE and hit enter. GE flies there ("automatic tour"). NOW FINALLY, my Space Navigator is in Earth Based aka Sketchup Mode: Earth rotates in the same direction as the knob on the Space Navigator is twisted, and center of earth's rotation is in the middle of the GE window.

Hth,
David.P

pmolsen

Post by pmolsen »

You are a genius! That works. Thank you for that. I won't throw the Spacenavigator away after all.

Now to get Google to fix the bug.

Dear Mr 3DConnexion, do you have a direct line to Google? If so can you please point out the above problem and ask them to fix it. There is no way of us poor users contacting them direct.
pmolsen

Post by pmolsen »

David.P

Post by David.P »

...I'd say good teamwork!

Cheers David.P
David.P

Bug still there.

Post by David.P »

Hi,

unfortunately, nothing has changed regarding this bug. What's more, I get the erratic GE behaviour described below (also posted to the two threads linked above):
The bug is still present in GE v.6.0.1.2032. Additionally, after only a few movements in "Move the Earth" mode, the earth/screen starts and accelerates rotating clockwise faster and faster on ANY controller movement. This can be re-set (but only temporarily, until it starts to come up again) to standard Move the Earth mode by the workaround described above.
Regards David.P
Fred

Post by Fred »

Please contact Google earth they implemented support natively in the application.

Follow the links pmolsen submittted and add your input.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thanks.
Fred wrote:Follow the links pmolsen submittted and add your input.
Done already!

Regards David.P
David.P

Re: Sketchup controls similar to Google Earth

Post by David.P »

Now they have removed the "Earth-based" mode completely :evil:

Navigation with the Spacenavigator now is again as clumsy as ever, and no way around it anymore!

Shame on you Google, and 3Dconnexion.
MargaretBeamer

Re: Sketchup controls similar to Google Earth

Post by MargaretBeamer »

I'm noob in using 3dconnexion. Seems facing a lot of confusing things and can't make it works yet. Oh well, I will keep trying. Still not given up yet :)