USB Type-C support

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

stefan

USB Type-C support

Post by stefan »

I really like the first impression on the Wireless SpaceMouse and the CADMouse. After only using USB-C supported hardware for several month, I realized that my 'only USB-C' computer needs bulky USB A-to-C adapters to use the wireless dongle, and to use the CAD mouse. That's so unsatisfying. It's big. It's bulky. There's only one way to plug it in. Well, two ways - and usually on first try it's not the right way... After getting used to Type-C, there's no turning back.

A future-proof USB-C solution is highly appreciated. Suggestion: in all cases use a USB Type-C connector and include a Type C-to-A adapter with the mouse.

P.S.: If you want to develop a wireless USB-C dongle just let me know, I can handle that. For the wired mouse, well, just use a type C connector :-)
dpaint

Re: USB Type-C support

Post by dpaint »

Why do they have adapters in the first place? Custom bluetooth dongles for the proprietary driver or some other technical reason?

Wacom did the same thing with their wireless adapters a while back. For such pricey devices 3dc should use the latest bluetooth standard then use whatever dongle as a fallback option, usbc is small enough to fit on/inside their stubby receiver with a silder, sure theres some industrial designers kicking about the forums that could design & 3d print one for ya :-)
kentdog

Post by kentdog »

I agree with the others in this discussion. It's time to move to a bluetooth solution for the Spacemouse and USB-C charging for the Spacemouse and CadMouse. So here I sit with a killer MacBook Pro, a fantastic Spacemouse and CadMouse and to make it all work I have to take a USB-A dongle from 3DConnexion into an adapter and ............ clearly this is a terrible solution. Also, micro USB was a good way to charge hardware 3 years ago but phones and laptops come with USB-C now so that's the charger everyone carries. Please acknowledge and adapt to the fact that laptops are coming with USB-C instead of USB-A ports. Forget the dongle and get this fantastic hardware working with bluetooth.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

dpaint wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am Why do they have adapters in the first place? Custom bluetooth dongles for the proprietary driver or some other technical reason?
Hello dpaint,

the receiver is not a Bluetooth receiver it is our Universal Receiver that can handle ALL our wireless devices. So if you have a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and a CadMouse Wireless you would only need ONE receiver.

The CadMouse can be connected either with Bluetooth OR with the Universal Receiver. Or with the cable.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

This is really needed
SpectreGadget

Post by SpectreGadget »

Any progress on the USB-C front? These Type-A converters are just downright embarrassing. Almost better to use a USB-C to Micro-USB and plug in directly. But I bought a wireless spacemouse for a reason... Time to move into 2016! I now have THREE laptops (both Windows and Mac) that *only* have USB-C ports.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

C’mon guys... in 2019 this is quite unbelievable
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

kentdog

Post by kentdog »

You have a premium product that can command a premium price. It seems far fetched that a USB-C receiver couldn't be sourced for the same cost as a USB-A receiver. If it does cost more, put a 3.0 mark up and sell it for more. But for goodness sake, giver your customers what they are asking for. Better yet, switch to Bluetooth. You're not listening to what your customers are saying. Laptops used for CAD don't have USB-A ports any more. If you don't, someone else will.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

The lack of USB C is getting ridiculous.
Really, it's seems like 3Dcinnexion is going to fail or doesn’t care anymore about products.
kentdog

Post by kentdog »

We need more space mice in our workplace but are unwilling to purchase until USB-C or Bluetooth support is available. Sadly, no alternatives exist. Please email when product are update so we may order.
cwwhit

Post by cwwhit »

I just purchased a USB cadmouse and wasn't aware of any USB requirements before or after purchasing. anyone else dissatisfied with the documentation, or the lack thereof, furnished by 3dconnexion?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

cwwhit wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 am anyone else dissatisfied with the documentation, or the lack thereof, furnished by 3dconnexion?
Me.

This is how I work. Embarrassing.

https://ibb.co/F3PMdP3
mrtangocharlie

Re: USB Type-C support / Bluetooth

Post by mrtangocharlie »

I agree with all of the above, I'm an industrial designer and I have to say the space mouse is a beautiful product. The fact Bluetooth and USB C is missing is just crazy. I would pay an extra $50 to have Bluetooth. Everytime you pack away your laptop, you have to pull out the dongle to stop it catching on your bag. You will probably find that most people using laptop's for cad have a higher end machine and don't like the idea of a dongle staying permanently plugged in when unpacking and packing up each day.
Please take this product all the way and include Bluetooth and USB C.
Japi

Post by Japi »

Or at least offer a detachable cable, so the customer can decide which one to use USB-C or USB-A (for example I have the SpaceMouse Entreprise myself that doesnt have detachable cable)