Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pami

Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by pami » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:33 pm

This is a general request for all products going forward.

The recent trend for using 'soft-touch' rubberised finishes - which are usually spray-on applications should be stopped entirely. While the finish looks and feels great initially, these finishes are not at all suitable in tropical climates with relatively higher ambient room temperatures (30-35C) and high humidity (85%). Within 12 to 24 months in such a climate, the finish will 'melt' and become a disgusting, sticky mess.

This finish has become popular in the last 5 years or so and is used on many devices such as mice, cameras, mobile phones etc. Every single device I have bought using this type of finish has become useless specifically because of this finish. If you're going to use plastic anyway, just leave it as plain plastic without any spray-on finish - it's not necessary, it will reduce production cost and will increase the durability of the product.

prowlmedia

Re: Stop using spray-on rubberised finish

Post by prowlmedia » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 am

why do you think they do this... to make you buy a new one when they go sticky of course!

What annoys me about this it's I would alway buy the latest version... but it kills the resale value. Which then perhaps denies someone entry to the joy of using a space mouse there for losing 3dCx future potential customers.

dissymmetry

Post by dissymmetry » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 pm

In the meantime, you can try cleaning it off with Lemon Oil. It will eat away any glue or adhesive fairly quickly while leaving plastic unharmed, is easy to clean up after and leaves a nice fresh scent when finished.

Anshula579

Post by Anshula579 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 am

Lemon Oil certainly will help.

pintom

Post by pintom » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 am

Yes please stop using this terrible spray on rubber on these expensive input devices! This stuff only lasts a year or 2 before it becomes a sticky/gooey mess on my Space Mice!! We pay way too much money to have this happen to our devices. To me this is a defective product when the finish becomes sticky because we cannot use the devices.
3dconnexion Hardware: SpaceMouse Pro USB, CADMouse
Computer: HP ZBook Studio G3

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:44 pm

ah, this could be the explanation we were searching.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =30#p73405
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise