SpaceExplorer Support Expired

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ddx

SpaceExplorer Support Expired

Post by ddx »

First of all, the technical support contact form on 3dconnexion website is not working (It says "SOAP Error" or something like that).

To the topic: I just found out that my SpaceExplorer has been kicked out of latest driver support per May 2016. This is outrageous! Especially that my colleague's 8 years old SpaceNavigator still happily rocking the latest 3dx software!! Plus, my SpaceExplorer was 3x more expensive than his Navigator!! I can't stand the grin on his face everytime we talk about this!!

We are fine for now my SE still working fine with 3ds max 2017, but what will happen next year when 2018 comes along?

If you guys insist to throw SE owners under the bus, thats fine, but at least give us some workaround. When I install the latest software, the software simply disabled the hardware. You should give user at least the option to "run it anyway" and if there are glitches let us deal with it. Or if lets say the buttons won't work, or only two buttons work (essentially making an SE work like SN), that would be fine too, since I really like SE's ergonomics.

If there are other workarounds like messing around with the files on the drivers or whatnot that would be great too.

Please give us some clarification.

Otherwise I refuse to buy any higher end 3dx device and I would just go to ebay and buy a really old SpaceNavigator, drill a big hole in my SpaceExplorer, and put that old SpaceNavigator in there. Bingo problem solved.
pball

Re: SpaceExplorer Support Expired

Post by pball »

You can continue to use the previous version of the driver. I'm using a year old driver with my device because it seems every update breaks something, removes features, or just changes stuff not for the better.
ddx

Post by ddx »

What about when new software (in my case new 3ds max) come out?

The latest driver that SpaceExplorer can use is 10.4.3 (current is 10.4.6). In the release notes of 10.4.3, it states "added support for 3ds max 2017." Next year when 3ds max 2018 is released, I don't think I can keep using the same driver unless 3dconnexion do something with the driver (or if I can copy certain files from the then current driver into my old driver).
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello ddx,

I am sorry you are disappointed with the driver availability for your SpaceExplorer.

We would like to clarify that SpaceExplorer was discontinued in May 2013 and software support was maintained for three years. This means we continued to test the product with all new drivers until May 31st 2016.

After this date, we did not take any steps to stop SpaceExplorer working, but it is not tested with newer drivers. This means we do not list these drivers when you search for SpaceExplorer on the driver download page. However, if you download 3DxWare 10.4.3 from our legacy driver download site by searching for another product (I suggest SpaceMouse Pro or SpacePilot Pro), there is a chance it will work fine with your SpaceExplorer and 3dsmax 2017. Please be aware that because SpaceExplorer is not tested with this driver we will not be able to offer further technical support (but we hope that is not necessary).

Kind regards
ddx

Post by ddx »

Hi UtaSH,

SpaceExplorer IS working with 10.4.3 as I have stated. Its not a "chance" as it is clearly indicated in the download page that SpaceExplorer is supported in 10.4.3 and fortunately on that particular driver, support for 3ds Max 2017 was just added.

However my concern is not how it is today, but in the future as near as next year (When 3ds max 2018 released). You mentioned that the newer drivers are not tested for SpaceExplorer and you also mentioned that it may work by "chance." That would be nice if it were true, because the newer drivers simply block SpaceExplorer from working at all. When I install current driver, upon plugging in the SpaceExplorer I could see the blue light turning on for a second, then it turn off. When I open 3DxWare, it shows a greyed out picture of SpaceExplorer indicating that it is disabled because it is no longer supported. There is no way I could just run it "untested" and "by chance" whatsoever.

Or did you mean 10.4.3 may work by chance with 3ds max 2018?

I guess its time to dump that short-lived thing and get a SpaceNavigator which looks like its still going to be supported for another 10 years.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ddx,

yes, the latest driver (10.4.6) shows the SpaceExplorer as discontinued device (greyed out), but the driver still recognizes it and supports it.

Have you checked if the setting for the LED is activated (right-click the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and make sure the option "LEDs active" is selected)?

Does the device show up in the device manager?
ddx

Post by ddx »

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason when I updated the driver at the time, I swear it was not working (not just the LED off). My 3ds max wasn't responding to the SpaceExplorer. So I concluded it wasn't working anymore. Probably it needee a reboot.

I have been borrowing a colleague's Spacemouse Pro with 10.4.6 for a while. When I saw your reply, I plugged my SpaceExplorer back in and this time it is working!! (and LED is on)

Well I guess I'm back on my SpaceExplorer until it truly dies.

The Spacemouse Pro is ok but I'm not liking the sticky-rubbery finish of the palm rest (and the 1-2-3-4 buttons). It attracts dust like nobody's business and the sticky nature of it makes removing dust particles difficult. I'm happy I my SpaceExplorer is still working (for now).

Thanks.