Trackball?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jkempf

Trackball?

Post by jkempf »

I have been repairing Microsoft trackballs for my right hand for quite a while now and the only sources are going away.

What is the chance that a simplified trackball like device could be created so that 3DConnexion products could be both hands input?

Perhaps a survey to see how many 3DConnexion current customers would be willing to purchase such a device for what price...

The old USB Spacemouse is almost the perfect size and shape device for me and it only needs the basic windows functions like a scroll wheel/horiz or vert and left/right mouse and forward and back web browsing close to the normal fingers. There are no good right hand devices currently being produced.
killpop

Re: Trackball?

Post by killpop »

I agree. I am considering designing my own trackball unit based of the older Microsoft and Logitech ones.I would have never thought that finding a finger operated with a scroll wheel and a couple of extra buttons was gonna be so hard. I was thinking about just 3d printing a case or shell and pulling the electronics/guts out of an off the shelf unit. The only thing that is holding me up is where to start with the shape. If anyone out there has one of the good units and can take some measurements and maybe some detail pics, contact me. I can have us all in trackball heaven in no time.
stateoftheart

Post by stateoftheart »

Great idea.
odd_enough

Post by odd_enough »

I know this thread is about a year old now, but I would like one as well. I currently use a Kensington ExpertMouse trackball, and have just kept replacing the same model over the years (I think I've gone through 5 of them now). I love 3Dconnexion products and would similarly love to see their take on a professional/engineering class trackball.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

A thumb based trackball unit with built in controller puck...? 8)
...and wireless.
SreWolfe

Post by SreWolfe »

I would be glad for drivers that would allow me to use my Space Navigator (wired) as a normal mouse. I have some significant problems from too much time spent on standard mice. I was using a Logitech Trackman Trackball with success but they discontinued it some years back and the only one I've seen lately had a $350 asking price.

As a result of mice usage over the past 35 years, my only stable (i.e., non-jittery) control elements are my two middle fingers (right hand) which makes the thumb-ball a non-starter for me. Using an "ergonomic" mouse like the Anker upright mouse is still less than effective.

My request is for anyone knowing of a driver set that would allow me to use the Navigator as a mouse. The base is solid enough that my hand jitter does not affect it and I can use my two fingers as control elements. I am an end-user and have little to no significant programming experience (last language studied was Pascal, in DOS... somewhere in the 80's, I think).

I am willing to run beta releases and have machines that run Windows 7 (work), and Windows 10 (personal)

Highest regards, Ray
"That boy's about three fries short of a Happy Meal..."
jwick

Post by jwick »

SreWolfe,

The SpaceNavigator does not make a great mouse. It's like a tiny joystick that doesn't move much. But you can try it since you already have one.

There is a cfg file, Desktop.xml, that can be locked into usage. Once locked, it will be used regardless of which application is in focus.
This cfg can be configured to send mouse events when you move the cap (e.g, MouseX, MouseY, Scroll, Zoom, etc.), as well as 2D mouse buttons (Left/Right/Middle - you don't have so many buttons on a SN).

You can also switch from 3D mode to 2D mode with a device button if you don't want to use it full-time as a 2D mouse. But you only have two buttons, so dedicating a device button to this operation uses up half your buttons. You might be able to use a Radial Menu to get around this.

If you want to have a try, send me your email address in a PM and I can send you some files.