place of the two buttons on Space Navigator

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Maggy

place of the two buttons on Space Navigator

Post by Maggy »

When I lay my hand next to my Space Navigator, my thumb is near the 3dconnexion brand, my middle finger is near the wire on the back. So why are the buttons straight left and right?. The only way to press the buttons is by twisting the hand in an unnatural position.
One solution would be to create the option of turning the ring that holds the buttons, a software solution would be a calibration option to set preferred orientation of the device.

Another design flaw in my opinion is the round shape. Yes, there are several features to determine its orientation by touch (buttons, wire and ribs on the puck) but it pull my attention away from the screen to look at the brand.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi Maggy:

We appreciate your feedback. Whenever we design a new device, we get feedback from customer and partner focus groups. The majority was overwhelmingly in favor of the design you have on your desk. It doesn't negate the importance of your input, which we will take seriously as we design new products, but we do try to design products as much as possible taking into account our customers.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
robrific

Post by robrific »

I just started using a Space Navigator and I agree with Maggy, the buttons are a problem for me.

I was thinking that if you could "exchange" the Pan Right/Left with Zoom it would solve the problem and might be only a software patch that everyone could download to incorporate the change.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
sorech

Post by sorech »

I was just bugging the email support about this. (I'm just a PE though, and don't have email support and will therefor continue my warfare in the forum.)

It's not that I do not know how I am supposed to hold the Navigator. It's just that to use it that way means one need to place it quite far of to the left of you, not to have your hand cramped backwards in an awkward angle. Ones you place the Navigator far enough to your left it's not so bad, but It feels less natural to me.

I feel much more comfortable navigating having my thumb by the logo. I like to have the Navigator immediately to the left of my keyboard and my hand as if I was holding a cup of coffee. This is how I would hold something real in my hand if I was to examine it. Here is an illustration of what I mean (click for full size).
I propose the obvious simple fix to this problem:
Put an option in the 3DConnection control panel that lets you change the direction of the main navigator axis (or what is deemed forward on the device). This would allow me and Maggy to reach the buttons while using the Navigator :-)
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can rotate the device axes by modifying the config file.
This thread explains how.
HerbyGunther

Post by HerbyGunther »

I like the rounded shapes of the Space Navigator more, than the less rounded shape of the Explorer (beneath the turn thing).
I agree that the thumbs buttons can be placed in a better position. When I place my hand on the side of the thing, my thumb rest precisely 1 button beneath the right button. That would be (in my opinion) the natural position to place the right button. My hands are somewhat average male to medium/large. A flexible solution would also be nice.
laurens

Post by laurens »

I'm not complaing about the button position, I think its fine like it is. However, the buttons are really small and thin, while requiring some force to press. (i'm noticing that the right button I never use is easier to press).

If 3dconnexion is ever to upgrade the design I personally would like 'clearer' (bigger) buttons. I'm imagining something like the big 'back' buttons on the side of many mice.