SpaceMouse Pro moves erratically in Solidworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Twincamr2

Re: SpaceMouse Pro moves erratically in Solidworks

Post by Twincamr2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 pm

HI All,

I just wanted mention that this bug is still around in 2017. I'm running Solidworks 2014 SP5.0 and a Spacemouse Wireless with the latest drivers (10.4.10 at time of writing). My problem is exactly what everyone else has described - my model behaves nicely for a while, then at some point shoots off into the distance with the slightest touch of the Spacemouse. I have tried playing with all the settings I can find in SolidWorks and 3Dconnexion driver - Spin centre, perspective etc. etc. The only thing that makes a difference is the 'dominant' setting, but this not an acceptable workaround. This behaviour occurs very regularly - perhaps once every 10 -15 mins. It is particularly frustrating because I've been using 3Dconnexion products (SpacePilot, Spacenavigator and Spacemouse Wireless) for many years with Creo and Pro/E without any such problems. Having to deal with this issue makes learning Solidworks all the more difficult.

David

UtaSH

Post by UtaSH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 am

Hi Twincamr2,

would you please contact our Technical Support Team. It will help if you can provide a log file of the driver.

Once the model "shoots off" as you mentioned please open the 3Dconnexion Viewer and verify if you see the same behaviour or if the navigation is fine there. Do you see a change when you then get back to SolidWorks?

zazz

Post by zazz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes, the problem is still there 2017 (10.5.3). I made one mouse button as F5 (Fit Screen) and one press on it solves the problem for a short while.

zazz

Post by zazz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:03 am

The problems are still present 2019, Driver 10.5.12.... New computer, New W10 Pro, New Solidworks 2019 SP1....

zazz

Post by zazz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Twincamr2 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 pm
HI All,

I just wanted mention that this bug is still around in 2017. I'm running Solidworks 2014 SP5.0 and a Spacemouse Wireless with the latest drivers (10.4.10 at time of writing). My problem is exactly what everyone else has described - my model behaves nicely for a while, then at some point shoots off into the distance with the slightest touch of the Spacemouse. I have tried playing with all the settings I can find in SolidWorks and 3Dconnexion driver - Spin centre, perspective etc. etc. The only thing that makes a difference is the 'dominant' setting, but this not an acceptable workaround. This behaviour occurs very regularly - perhaps once every 10 -15 mins. It is particularly frustrating because I've been using 3Dconnexion products (SpacePilot, Spacenavigator and Spacemouse Wireless) for many years with Creo and Pro/E without any such problems. Having to deal with this issue makes learning Solidworks all the more difficult.

David
Did they ever helped you with this issue?

Sporkmasta

Post by Sporkmasta » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I had this same issue, and fixed it by clicking on the button to orient to isometric view, and then dimetric view. Somehow that reset where the 3D mouse was grabbing onto when rotating the part.

zazz

Post by zazz » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:05 am

Sporkmasta wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm
I had this same issue, and fixed it by clicking on the button to orient to isometric view, and then dimetric view. Somehow that reset where the 3D mouse was grabbing onto when rotating the part.
Press "fit screen" to resets the issue. I have one button programmed on my mouse so it is fast and easy to get around/fix it. 3DC seems to be unable to communicate this issue with Solidworks so 3DC will be stuck with this incompatibility forever, even though it has gotten better over the years. I have learn to live with it now.

chrism42

Post by chrism42 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:32 pm

This glitch drove me insane, but I think I've got it beat.

There are times when perspective is quite practical, especially in Inventor where the view culling can give you an "internal" view of an object if you move the viewpoint inside any object or assembly. Somehow this is lost on Solidworks' 3D engine. Anyways...

I think DS and Logitech are both right in a sense, there is not problem with their rotation implementations.

The glitch must be in the Auto Rotation Center option in the driver. Since I turned that off, it all works without this issue.

Is this anyone else's experience?

chrism42

Post by chrism42 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Spoke too soon (not the first time). It's weird, but the effect seems to have some correlation to the "mouse-wheel zoom," and it sporadically acts like there's a vanishing point off to the right of the viewport.