3Dx's attitude to other apps, and their users?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Layer01

3Dx's attitude to other apps, and their users?

Post by Layer01 »

Hi
I'm thinking of buying a SpacePilot, but i use a lot of apps that are not supported by 3Dx (zbrush, Silo, Modo etc..)
But i thought that if i could just map shortcut keys to the SP for those apps it would still be very usefull.
But after browsing the forum I'm getting the impression that this isn't possible? There seems to be two options available atm an .exe that runs and allows you to use the SP as a generic USB keyboard and a driver hack.
Both made by users.

so what i want to know is, why did a user have to hack the driver to get full functionality out of their product?? I'm assuming it would be very easy for 3Dx to officially make these driver fixes themselves even to improve on them, and in doing so allow all their users to have access to them (on mac, win 64 etc)

It seems that apps are supported on an individual plugin basis which i can understand, but it also seems that the SP or any other 3Dx device wont work in any other app thats not officially supported. is that correct?

So this means i can't map the arrow keys (or any other keys/ macro's) to the nav ball (or whatever its called) and the buttons surrounding it, and use it in documents, browsers, and non supported applictations?
If i want to be able to do this i need to rely on a driver hack by a user? And go to him with further driver requests? That just seems ridiculous to me.

I hope i'm wrong because i really would like to use something like the SP.
sorin

Post by sorin »

the controller is an input device which doesn't rely on drivers, if you look in device manager under human interface devices (HID) you'll see it uses standard microsoft driver. from windows' point of view it's just another type of input device like mouse joystick etc.

directx api and 3dconnexion sdk have all the tools needed to allow input from it. so the programmers of modo for example should allow their viewport to be rotated by software means and link those calls to an input device. that's why 3dconnexion can't do anything in that matter. bigger developers (like autodesk) provide external viewport control for their apps. much like in games, if the game developer doesn't allow joystick input there's nothing you could do or ask joystick's manufacturer.

what could be implemented by 3dconnexion, and has already been done by a forum user for the spacenavigator, is to provide a joystick compatible mode for applications already having support for it. it's a driver that maps the 6 HID inputs to different joystick axes (xy axes, slider, twist etc) in a user selectable mode so windows thinks you are using a joystick instead of a 6 axes HID.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

@sorin
could you please give a link to that discussion or the driver you talk of?
tx!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rxnnxs wrote:could you please give a link to that discussion or the driver you talk of?
I believe he's referring to this topic.
Nuno Gomes
Steve F

Post by Steve F »

My experience with this company is very positive. I think it's a plus that users can contribute and help each other. And, the support team is regularly involved. When an application doesn't support alternative input devices, it's the application's authors who have the responsibility. 3dConnexion provides everything necessary for their devices to be supported by any application. And, they don't act to prohibit the use of their products. You should see their design document in the SDK. It describes quality standards of usability including testing standards that developers can follow to get the best experience for their users. The fact that a 'user' wrote the keyboard binding application and it is described here on these forums shows the company's support, not lack of.
GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

First of all;
the support here until now seems to be real support, 3Dconnexion's support team is trying to help where they can and on a regular basis,... only count the number of posts of the support team... they are active in a lot of topics. they aren't superhumans who can make anything happen, but within their limits they seem to give it their best effort.
I believe he's referring to this topic.
For me, so I think more users should have this, it isn't completely nice and tidy (a.o. because of some characters like euro etc.)

Maybe it is possible to rewrite this post somewhere (maybe it already has?) and/or support this with the standard drivers, so we know it isn't outdated and will be supported by 3Dconnexion if necessary.

It really seams like something most people can do, but won't because we do not want to take any (unnecessary) risc. (One of my questions is, I have a SpacePilot, will this work herefor aswell, or are there (minor) adjustments necessary, will it continue to work,.. etc etc.)
And with a nice and wokring program, with tutorial etc., this sort of functionality can really help the motioncontrollers reach a much bigger audiance.
The 3D motioncontrollers are worth it 8)
shaund

Post by shaund »

No disrespect meant here chaps, but I have to agree with Layer01.

A user being so frustrated with the driver situation that he was forced to go his own way and hack a MS mouse driver to get the thing working doesn't in any way shape or form suggest that support is great.

As I earn my living from my PC, I don't want to run the risk of installing someone's pet project to turn these devices on. If it doesn't work and takes my PC out, it's not just the inconvenience but money that I'm losing.

How difficult would it be for the company to adopt the 'user driver' and formally support it? This is what we want - not empty promises of some hallowed land where all apps are supported that we know is not going to happen..