Driver issue with SolidWorks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pyarnall

Driver issue with SolidWorks

Post by pyarnall »

Perhaps this will save someone from wasting the time I did with the latest 3Dxware driver for the Space Pilot Pro. Background... I set up a new high spec iMac as a workstation for SolidWorks 2014 via Windows 7 Pro running as a virtual machine via VM Fusionware.

SW installed without issue and runs fine. I installed the current 3DxWare driver and plugged in my Space Pilot Pro. It connected via Windows, (you can choose win or mac), and the Space Pilot appeared to work... i.e., it had full 3D control of a model as it normally would. The problem was that neither the 3DControl menu or toolbar would appear in SW. This seriously compromises the utility of the Space Mouse.

I was advised by support to do an "uninstall" then a new installation, making sure SW was not running and the Space Pilot not plugged in. Did this twice... no change. Then I tried a "clean install" per the procedure detailed in the FAQ area which included registry editing and looking for folders and files in Windows and deleting them. That did not work either.

I then occurred to me that perhaps an older version of the driver would work. I uninstalled, again, then loaded the previous driver from the archives, dated June 2014, I believe.

Voila! Everything now works as it is supposed to. :) Wish I could get the time back I spent on this exercise and use it for something more enjoyable. :x