Working in SolidWorks assembly.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rusty

Working in SolidWorks assembly.

Post by rusty »

My Navigator seems to work fine while working in SolidWorks with a single model/part file but when I bring up an assembly (numerous parts) and use the Navigator, I seem to have trouble due to SolidWorks crashing. This "crashing" happens almost every time an assembly is pulled up and I use the Navigator. If I refrain from using the Navigator, everything is fine, just as it was before my 3D purchase & installation. I'm using Windows 2000 and SolidWorks version 5.0. I have the latest driver upgrades for the Space Navigator as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Rusty.
idesignhaus

Post by idesignhaus »

Which SolidWorks version? I don't recall a version 5.0, since SolidWorks uses year designations (such as 2005 or 2007). Newer versions aren't supported in Win2000.

rusty

My apologies!

Post by rusty »

My apologies for not providing enough specifics about the software being used. I am running SolidWorks 2006, SP 5.1 (previously stated as SP5.0).

If this is not supported in conjunction with Windows 2000 as a base, I just may have to bite the bullet & move forward as this device is well worth the investment.

I don't do much else with the Navigator other that 3D modeling, but what a jewel of a device to complement SolidWorks. Thanks much!
agoenczi
User
User

Working in SolidWorks assembly

Post by agoenczi »

Hi rusty

Is this "crashing" happening every time you try to work with assemblies?

You mentioned some details of your configuration, but could you specify the amount of installed RAM in your computer, the connected USB devices, the graphics card type you use as well?
agoenczi
rusty

Post by rusty »

Running Windows 2000 SP 4, I have 1GB RAM, dual Dell monitors (one tube, one flat panel plug & play w/USB hub capabllities which the Navigator is tied through), Micorsoft wireless keyboard & mouse (wireless receiver is connected to tower) and NIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL card.
agoenczi
User
User

Working in SolidWorks assembly

Post by agoenczi »

Hi rusty

Could you describe a scenario which will allow me to reproduce the issue you described? It would be very helpful...
agoenczi
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hey agoenczi, I'll try to describe what I'm experiencing.

If I pull up an assembly with several parts in it (say 30 to 50 items or more), and proceed to use the Navigator as intended to spin, roll, zoom, etc. while assigning mates to the parts, analyze distances, or whatever, Solidworks stalls, sits idle for about 10 to 20 seconds, and then closes down stating an error has occured.

Pause.................................

I just now pulled up a large assembly and "tried" to get the issue to happen, but thus far, the system is being very receptive of the Navigator movement. Just like the Doctors office visit scenerio: "I feel fine now".

Anyway, that's how it goes when it does faulter.