SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, Windows 7 Pro and Me

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

fcwilt

SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, Windows 7 Pro and Me

Post by fcwilt »

Hi,

Just installed the latest software for Windows for the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless (SMPW).

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and it's fully update to date "update" wise.

I like the SMPW hardware very much.

I only wish it worked better then it does.

I can interact with the Trainer without issue.

However at some point while trying out the buttons on the SMPW something strange happens to Windows - I think it's the buttons.

I cannot be sure what is happening because I, more or less, lose control of Windows.

It acts kind of like the ESC key is being held done.

If I click on the Start button the menu flickers into view and then is gone.

If I right-click on the Taskbar whatever pops up flickers into view and then is gone.

Needless to say this makes Windows somewhat hard to use. :wink:

With a little bit of luck I can usually restart Windows and that seems to clear things up - until I try to use the keys on the SMPW.

It's such a pain to get out of this screwy situation I really have not attempted to do any rigorous testing to try and determine what exactly I am doing with the SMPW that triggers the situation.

It doesn't seem to be related to the use of the "knob" - only the keys.

Rather frustrated with my lovely paper weight at the moment.

HELP!

Please and Thank You.
Barbara

Re: SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, Windows 7 Pro and Me

Post by Barbara »

Hello fcwilt -

What you are seeing is unusual so it is possible there is a hardware problem. The Space Mouse Wireless has a hardware warranty and our Technical Support can help with that. There is contact information for Technical Support here.

If you happen to have another PC available to test with, that is a good way to check whether there is a problem with the Space Mouse Wireless.

To check on other possible causes, does this happen when you are connected with the USB cable or only when working wirelessly ? Wireless interference can happen if the receiver is plugged in near a network cable that is not well shielded. You can try switching to a different USB port to see if that affects the behavior.

The Buttons section of the 3Dconnexion Properties window will show what the Space Mouse buttons are mapped to. There are separate profiles applications which change as the application that has the Windows focus changes.

There are also some demos in the 3Dconnexion folder on your Start menu. These are easier to use for testing than the Trainer. Try opening the Jet Demo then open 3Dconnexion Properties [Start |All programs |3Dconnexion | Demos |Jet Demo]. You can open 3Dconnexion Properties either from the Start menu or from 3DMouse Home - Properties or from the 3DxWare icon in the System Tray.

Check whether the behavior happens in a specific application. If it does, it is possible there is a problem with that application profile. If that is what you are seeing , there are steps here that will remove the profiles and return the Space Mouse Wireless to default settings.
-------------------
Barbara
etub

Post by etub »

Hi fcwilt

I too am having the exact same problem. Except it's the shift key that appears to be pressed down.

I first notice the problem after first use with Revit 2014. So I thought it was an issue with compatibility with Revit,
but even in the 3Dconnexion viewer the same thing happens. After doing some 3D navigation the shift key starts
to activate itself.

Its frustrating as I have just bought the SMPW and can't even use it.

I contacted technical support and have been advised that a firmware update would resolve this issue. Unfortunately
the 3DxFlash tool does not see my SMPW. So am stuck on that front...

Have you managed to fix it?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello etub -

The firmware update can be run from a different PC. It updates the firmware inside the Space Mouse so only needs to be done once. If there is an XP PC or another Win 7 PC where the driver and 3DxFlash tool can be installed temporarily , you can use it to update the firmware.

The firmware version is displayed in 3Dconnexion Properties - About. After completing the firmware update, restart the driver and you should see the updated firmware version displayed [Start |All programs |3Dconnexion | Driver | Stop Driver , Start Driver]. The Space Mouse can be moved back to the original PC and the new firmware version will be shown there as well.
--------------
Barbara
fcwilt

Post by fcwilt »

etub wrote:Hi fcwilt

I too am having the exact same problem. Except it's the shift key that appears to be pressed down.

Have you managed to fix it?
No I have not but perhaps if I can activate the "stuck key feature" :roll: for the shift key then I could learn something.

As I described when the escape key sticks Windows becomes very hard to use - which is why I have not done much experimenting.

But if I could get the shift key to stick that would be fairly benign.

When it happens to you have you ever had it "unstick" with subsequent pressing of the SMPW shift key?

Frederick
fcwilt

Post by fcwilt »

Hello Barbara,

I believe it to be a 3dconnexion software or firmware problem - not hardware.

So I will try to get a firmware update and see if that helps.

Just the same it IS a lovely paper weight - very stylish.

Thanks.

Frederick
etub

Post by etub »

Hi All,

I have tried updating the firmware version on a different PC running win 7.

On launching the 3D connexion Firmware Update tool. Everything is blank with the this msg under trace

Rebuilding device list
No device
No Valid 3D connexion USB device found!
If the device is already connected, then unplud and replug the device.

Each time I unplug and replug, the same msg appears again.

I have looked at the firmware details: They are:[ Space Mouse Pro Wireless Receiver (firmware v. 4.38) ]

Do you know if this is the latest firmware update for this product.

Is there another Firmware update tool specific to space mouse pro wireless other than the 3DxFlash tool?

And regarding the shift key, pressing the shift key on the SMPW deactivates it for 1sec and the it's back again. I am
unable to select anything with this happening, so using windows becomes impossible to use, I have to force restart the PC to get it to work again.

Please advise
fcwilt

Post by fcwilt »

So the firmware is for receiver?

And the receiver is plugged in?

Is there separate firmware for the SMP itself?

Have you tried using the SMP plugged directly into a USB port - no receiver plugged in.

I've been trying that for a couple of days and cannot get the shift key to stick.

And I'm not touching the ESC key - it that sticks it's a mess just getting things back to rights.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello etub -

Firmware updates should be handled by Technical Support rather than as a forum topic. I can provide some general information here but support is best able to address any specific issues.

The update is for the device itself - the update tool should detect the SpaceMouse Wireless if you plug in the USB cable. If the battery is low and the cable is not connected the 3DxFlash tool displays "Rebuilding device list ..." because it is not able to detect the SpaceMouse.

Open 3Dconnexion Properties and click About to see your current firmware version. You should see SpaceMouse Wireless Receiver (firmware version 4.xx) and SpaceMouse Wireless (firmware version 4.xx) showing your current version. You may need to move your 2D mouse over the field since it can extend beyond the display area. You can check the percentage to see whether the issue you are seeing happens when the battery is low.

The main 3Dconnexion Properties window shows the percentage the battery is charged. It displays 'Charging ..' until it reaches 70 to 80 % then displays the charged percentage. This information is also displayed when you hover the 2D mouse over the 3dxWare icon in the System Tray. An asterisk is shown - SpaceMouse Wireless (*) until it is charged enough to display the percentage.

The firmware version you see in 3Dconnexion Properties - About will be shown in the top portion of the flash tool under 'USB Device' , with the version preceded by 0x0. The bottom portion "Firmware Image' shows the version it is to be updated to - 0x0438 [V43.8] which is the current version.

The firmware update rewrites the ROM inside the device so it is important not to disconnect the Space Mouse during the process. If you have questions about what you are seeing it is best to contact support.

To stop the driver - rather than restarting Windows - you can unplug the receiver and use the Stop Driver shortcut [Start |All programs |3Dconnexion | Driver | Stop Driver ]. When you plug the receiver back in it will be detected and the driver will restart.
----------------------
Barbara
fcwilt

Post by fcwilt »

Hi,

I have not been able to recreate the problem but I also haven't touched the escape key.

One thing I did do was stop and disable the "3DConnexion Broker Service".

I don't know what it is intended to do BUT I have only tested the device with the demo applications that came with it and they work fine without it.

Does it do anything that could lead to Windows "thinking" a key was stuck?

Thanks!
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hell fcwilt -

3DConnexion Broker Service is used to detect the device and auto-start the driver. If it is turned off the driver will continue to run.

The 3DConnexion Broker Service is set to run as 'Automatic'. If it is disabled rather than stopped and you unplug the device or re-start the PC, you would need to start the driver manually either using the 'Start Driver' shortcut or by using a program like the Jet Demo that is able to start the driver.

In addition to the demos you can use the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless in internet browsers and in free applications like Google Earth and SketchUp.
-----------
Barbara