"Suspend motion" autocheks in 3ds max

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mushimas

"Suspend motion" autocheks in 3ds max

Post by mushimas »

The "suspend motion" autochecks without noticeable reason (while modeling for example) and I have to open the control panel to uncheck it, then close the control panel then reopen it to uncheck once again (I did nothing between closing and reopening, just reopening the dialog...) and then again and again for 5 to 20 times to have the checkbox finally stay unchecked. I sometimes resign and have to reboot 3ds max.
5 to 20 min later, it autockecks again (still modeling)...

The website promises increase of productivity... I more often use native 3ds max viewport pan/rotation mouse shortcuts than SpaceNavigator....

Phil

3ds max 9-32 SP1, WinXP Pro SP2
SpaceNavigator SE 3.2.2 driver - 3DxWare 6.2.1 - 3DxStudio 4.4
hiero

Post by hiero »

Hi

I have the same experience with my spaceball 5000 and the space navigator
This seem to happen 2 or 3 times per hour...

and indeed you need to manually uncheck it
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

:D Great News! This problem has been fixed. The fix is available in 3DxSoftware 3.3.2. Please give it a try and post any feedback. Thanks!
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

Great news !!! I'll give a try and tell you.

Phil
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

It's much more slower than the 3.2.2 release... The native 3ds max viewport navigation (alt + middle mouse button) rotates the scene quicker.
While using SpaceNavigator, the 8 bottom right 3ds max icons (the ones dedicated to viewport management) blinks a lot and I suppose that this is why it slows down the scene rotation.

Only the very first move is smooth. If I hold off my hand and hold the device back on, the move are very slow.

I prefer revert back to the 3.2.2 release even if it forces me to restart 3ds max from time to time to disable the "suspend motion" checkbox but allows me to use the SpaceNavigator...

The 3.3.2 update cost more in productivity loss than the 3.2.2 and make the SpaceNavigator unusable. I had great expectations working with 3DConnexion devices and I'm a little disapointed.

But don't worry, that gives developers things to work on for the next release (I can't promise I'll still be using the device at that time).

Phil
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mushimas,
The blinking (or flickering) problem is a known issue. Please refer to this topic.
Nuno Gomes
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

Thanks.
As the fixed driver is not released yet, there should be a warning on the download page for 3ds max user telling us not to update if using v3.2.2 (lucky me, I kept the installer).

I'll wait and see.

Phil
marcore

suspend motion

Post by marcore »

Slowly i'm getting pissed of at the 3.3.2 drivers with 3ds max9.....bad bad, 30% more efficiency...you guys mean 30 times unchecking the suspend motion. problematic behavior.

and the flickering wohooOo...google earth and second life yeah, but hardcore expensive apps like max nopes, i feel like i've been pulled a leg.

//ranting mode off{
}
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi marcore,

We appreciate your frustration and we apologise for any inconvenience this issue is causing. The problem has been fixed and, until we have the new build of release 3.3 ready, we suggest you use version 3.2. Please download it from the Archive section here.
sorin

Post by sorin »

i'm getting this bug again in the latest driver (v4.4 max plugin). it not often, not even once a day but it happens.

i'd make a driver without that option at all. or at least a build without it for people that never want to disable the SN like myself.
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

I'm having it back too with the latest driver for 3ds max but hadn't time yet to say it on that thread...
I'd keep the ''suspend motion'' option (even if I do see any use of it : don't touch the device and the motion is suspended ;-)) because it may be useful to someone but as it seems hard to manage as a software feature, I'd rather have it as a hardware button, as you have now on wireless mouse to save power.

Phil
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

The (auto) suspend motion option.

There are a number of actions that 3ds Max performs, that do not tolerate a camera being created while they are being done: in short Max throws an exception, tells the user all about it, and exits. Fortunately, there are a number of messages that 3ds Max sends internally - similar to "About to Load File" and "Load File Finished" etc - between which the device input is suspended.

The previous issue was caused due to the "Whatever finished" message not being sent because the action was being aborted: this might for example happen when a dialog is canceled. It appears that we have either missed one of the "Whatever aborted" messages or 3ds Max doesn't always send the messages in pairs.
We would really appreciate if you would lets us know what was happening when the suspend was checked and left checked. That might help us to resolve the issue.

In short, the check box "Suspend Motion" is in fact a cleverly disguised work around (its not a bug its a feature!) :lol: Just kidding.

Markus
sorin

Post by sorin »

i can't tell what i was doing since i only see it's not working who knows how long after it has disabled itself.

if you could flash the icon or change the color of the SN control panel in the taskbar when it's disabled we could catch the event before it
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

if you could flash the icon or change the color of the SN control panel in the taskbar when it's disabled we could catch the event
That wouldn't really work: There are numerous actions that cause the box to be checked and then almost immediately unchecked. Why not simply keep the internal control panel open?
sorin

Post by sorin »

it takes too much space on a 19" display. if you make a smaller floater with just on/off indication i could keep it open all times. or make a macro button i could drag to a toolbar.