The 3D Control toolbar will not stay where I put it

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Pendragon

The 3D Control toolbar will not stay where I put it

Post by Pendragon »

I use a CADMAN and Win XP - I have downloaded and installed the latest software and drivers for my scenario.

When I open Solidworks 2007, the 3D Control toolbar appears on its own row (4th from top towards the left of the screen) so I move it to where I need it to be located. Of course it remains there until I close Solidworks down but when I reopen Solidworks the toolbar always pops up back where it started.

I've looked through the help section and read the Forum FAQ but there's been nothing mentioned to address how to make a toolbar location stick.

Help please.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Pendragon,

It seems that SolidWorks is not saving the last state of the toolbar. Try cycling the "3Dcontrol" add-in:
  1. Go to the "Add-In Manager" panel;
  2. Clear the check box next to "3Dcontrol";
  3. Close the "Add-In Manager" panel: the toolbar will be hidden;
  4. Re-open the "Add-In Manager" panel;
  5. Tick the "3Dcontrol" check box;
  6. Close the "Add-In Manager" panel: the toolbar should be display in the original position.
Let us know if that fixed the issue or not.
Nuno Gomes
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I followed your directions but when the toolbar came back (floating in the model area) it had 20 buttons with black squares where the button icons should be. You can't click on the buttons either.

I shut down Solidworks and when I reopened it the 3D Control toolbar was back but it was in the same spot - on its own row 4th down from the top.

Every time I cycle the add-in the same 20 button black toolbar pops up and the only way to get the 3D control toolbar back is to shut Solidworks down and start the process all over.

Any other ideas?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

This requires further investigation. We have open an incident report and -- for your reference -- it is number 4449.
A final note. SolidWorks saves the toolbar for each environment: Assembly, Part, Drawing and Application (no open document). You can also try the following:
  1. Launch SolidWorks and do not open or create any documents
  2. Set the toolbar position to where you want
  3. Terminate SolidWorks
  4. Launch SolidWorks: check the toolbar position
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I can try that but there's a problem.

When I first open Solidworks and there's no file open, the 3D Control toolbar isn't visible. It doesn't show up until I've opened either a part or assembly file. When I right click in the toolbar area, the 3D Control toolbar is NOT one of the choices. When I check the Add-ins it shows the 3D control as already loaded (boxes on left and right side are both checked)

So how do I get the toolbar to become visible in application mode?
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Scratch that -

3DControl was actually listed in the view\toolbars pulldown menu even though it didn't show up when I right-clicked in the toolbar area. (I checked afterwards and it was there once the toolbar was visible...odd)

I was able to bring the toolbar up, locate it, and it seems to be staying where I put it even after I terminate and restart Solidworks. I've tried five or six times to make sure.

I also cycled through part, assembly, and drawing files to make sure it didn't hop around but it seems to be staying where I place it.

So it would appear my problem is solved. I really appreciate all the help
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Pendragon,

That's good news but we need to verify what is happening with the black squares happening on the toolbar after cycling the add-in. Issue 4449 remains opened.