How to Reset Center of Rotation in Inventor R10?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyIorfino

How to Reset Center of Rotation in Inventor R10?

Post by TonyIorfino »

I've just gotten my company to spring for my first SpaceExplorer :D and while I've been having the normal snags getting used to the way it works, I've gotten to the point, in a few days, where it almost looks like I know what I'm doing. The problem I'm having, however, is in resetting the center of rotation once I've panned around a bit, or if I just want to rotate about a different point. I'm using the device in WinXP with Inventor R10.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a trick or workaround I haven't found yet? Right now I hit the F4 key on my keyboard and click the new rotation center with my mouse. I thought I could program F4 to the Space Explorer, but the programmed button doesn't really work like the F4 key in Inventor in that I have to hit the button again to make the 3D Rotation symbol go away. In Inventor, the symbol is only active as long as you hold down F4. Also, I only has 15 buttons and, while I've changed one already, I'd like to try to work with the preprogrammed Inventor commands that the SpaceExplorer comes with.

I read an old post on the Autodesk Inventor Discussion groups that referred to a plug-in that re-centers your rotation with a left click of your mouse, albeit for the SpaceTraveler. The link they gave was
http://www.3dconnexion.com/TipsAndTricks.htm, but that seems to be no longer valid. Can anyone point me to a plug-in for Inventor that does this for the SpaceExplorer?

Thanks,

Tony
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Tony:

Thank you for this suggestion. We will first test this ourselves and then evaluate our ability to provide this within our current schedule. As you might have seen from other posts on this board, we are currently working on some development projects but we will again add this to the list of items for evaluation and keep you posted.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.