SpaceNav for Laptops: Some axis are no longer working...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Macchina

SpaceNav for Laptops: Some axis are no longer working...

Post by Macchina »

I am on my third SpaceNavigator in about 6 years... I'm hoping my latest one (SpaceNavigator for Laptops) is not going out now. I've had this one for less than a year...
I am using Solidworks Premium 2014 on Windows 7 64-bit. My laptop is a Dell M6700.
All of a sudden, when I zoom (set to pull out and push in) the object in SolidWorks also rotates (as if I was twisting the 3D mouse)... Also, when I attempt to flip the model around every direction works except when I attempt to flip it down and left, nothing happens when I attempt that direction. I have flipped every switch in the Control Panel and it appears to be a hardware problem. I have also tried installing the latest drivers and that also did not help.

This is very frustrating because I have recently relocated to Europe for a few months and it's a very problematic time for something as essential as my 3D Mouse to give out. I have come to really rely on this product but they seem to be very prone to failure.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there any possibility it's electronic?
I have already contacted 3DConnexion's customer service however they are taking their time in replying and in the past I have to destroy my current 3D Mouse before they would ship a new one (I hate being without it for a few weeks).
Fred

Re: SpaceNav for Laptops: Some axis are no longer working...

Post by Fred »

Does it happen when you use the demo or just in Solidworks?
Are you using the current driver 3Dxware 10 or the 3Dxsoftware 3.18.0
Did you just recently update Solidworks to 2014?
Sometime the 3Dconnexion add-in in Solidworks registry doesn't update and I have seen issues with the device not responding correctly.
Try removing the registry key:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8442
then run a repair of the driver.
You can also do a cleanup of the profiles incase of corruption 3DxWare 10.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/1100
or 3Dxsoftware 3.18
http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/28

If you continue to have an issue contact the helpdesk call during normal business hours so you can speak with a tech.
Ask them for a ticket number so if you need to call back they can reference the number and update the ticket or give you a status on the RMA.
Macchina

Post by Macchina »

Fred,
I tried the complete unistall and re-installed 3Dxware 10.
The problems persist just like before. It seems like this is a hardware problem. Would you agree?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Does it happen when using the Demo?
If the answer is yes, then I would agree its a hardware issue.
Give the helpdesk a call and let them know about the forum post so they can go from there.
Macchina

Post by Macchina »

Yes. I tried several of the demos just now and when I pull up or push down on the joystick it seems to be linked to the left and right direction as well. The direction that does not work (turning mouse to the bottom right) in Solidworks also seems to not work in the demo...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Call tech support it is a hardware issue.