Space Navigator doesn't allow me to fully exit Soldworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

KyleKoehler

Post by KyleKoehler »

When I exit Solidworks and then attempt to restart Solidworks... something in 3Dconnexion doesn't really shut down Solidworks or at least tells my computer that Solidworks is still running....

When I restart solidworks... the application tries to tell me that a journal file can not be created since a copy of Solidworks is currently running.

Also, after this, if while Solidworks is not running (i.e. I "succesfully" exited)... I cannot change folder names of places I have Solidworks files I was just working on stored. Windows tells me I am currently using these folders in an application (i.e. that would have been Solidworks but I exited Solidworks!!!).

I never had these problems until just the other day when i installed the drivers for my Space Navigator and the 3D Connexion drivers.

HELP!!! I have to keep restarting my computer to get Solidworks to think it actually exited Solidwork!!!!
Kyle
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi KyleKoehler

Did you install 3DxSoftware as an administrator? Please find out (with the Task Manager - if you have administrator rights) what blocks your second (and further) attempt to start SolidWorks. If you can't do it (because you're not the administrator) ask the administrator to do that.
agoenczi
KyleKoehler

Post by KyleKoehler »

You'll have to lead me through what you are asking...

Am I using the Task Manager (accessed via Ctrl-Alt-Delete) what is blocking my second attempt to start Solidworks? or am I using the Task Manager whether I install 3DxSoftware as an administrator.

I am the only user on my machine (and therefore the default administrator account for my machine). OR was there a setting as I went through the installation of 3DxSoftware that asked me a question relating to administrator priviledges?

Please explain further...

Kyle
Kyle
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi KyleKoehler

Who installed 3DxSoftware?

If you haven't administrator rights ask the administrator to start the Task Manager and find out what blocks your second attempt to start SolidWorks.
agoenczi
KyleKoehler

Post by KyleKoehler »

I installed the 3DxSoftware and I am the Adminstrator Account and only account on my computer.

I guess my question is how I use the Task Manager to find out what blocks my second attempt to start Solidworks.

For the record Solidworks does start but the messages that come up are the exact same messages that come up if you try to have Solidworks running twice on the same computer. It basically knows that the same same copy is already running and informs you that although it will run a second copy... it senses a first copy and won't be keeping a journal file or have the ability to "save" a restore copy of your files.

It wasn't until this morning that I realize it wouldn't let me delete/rename files even when Solidworks is off because it "senses" that Solidworks is still running and accessing those .prt files.

Again... what do you want me to do with Task Manager (i.e how do I find out what blocks my second attempt to start Solidworks)?

Kyle
Kyle
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi KyleKoehler

a. Start the Task Manager
b. Start SolidWorks
c. You should see 3 processes related to SolidWorks:
1. SolidWorkdsLicensing.exe
2. SolidWorksLicTemp.0001
3. SLDWORKS.exe
d. Observe that a process 3dxsrv.exe runs as well: this is our driver.
e. Close SolidWorks and see what processes (from the 1-3 mentioned above) are still running after closing the application. One process still runs for few seconds (40-45 on my computer): SolidWorkdsLicensing.exe after the program termination, but after this process is not any more in the process list, I can launch SolidWorks again without getting any error message. (On my computer runs 3DxSoftware v3-2-2.)

Could you check what release of our software (3DxSoftware) have you installed?
agoenczi