Configuration of device orientation possible?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

spainman

Re: Configuration of device orientation possible?

Post by spainman »

Haven't tried yet but will do later when back at home. Missed your message - didn't receive an email notification as usual.

So thanks for the hint but doesn't the response curve just influence linearity?

Not sure if my explanations were clear enough:
- the issue is that the output is always slightly 'dominant' as in the corresponding ui setting but of course less pronounced
- at small diagonal deflections of the cap the output vector always tries to stick to a movement exactly along the x or y axis (x moves, y stays zero until significantly more physical input happens in y and vice versa)
- This seems to happen directly at the hardware level (observed with wireshark/usbcap and generic hid driver)
jwick

Post by jwick »

Sometimes there is an effect at the very bottom. OTOH, this is part of the device driver, not the hardware. If you are looking at the hardware with no software installed (no 3DxWare installed - no 3DxHID.sys loaded on the device in the device manager), then it is the hardware and there is nothing you can do about it.
spainman

Post by spainman »

Assuming it is on the HW level (pretty sure it is, but will recheck) - no secret HID command that would influence/kill this filtering?
I remember an old thread from a user that re purposed a 3dx device as a sensor in an experiment or something and needed to get rid of any hw dead band filtering. You offered to provide privately the corresponding HID command to achieve that. I was hoping you could maybe help me in the same way.
I'm well beyond warranty voiding concerns anyway and not a typical 'end user' as you might have noticed. ;-)
jwick

Post by jwick »

PM your actual email address to me and I can send you some utilities to experiment with.
stereotaxis

Post by stereotaxis »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. But I have the same question.
I would like to get the raw sensor data without it being filtered.
The fact that the filter still dominates one of the axes at small movements makes it unusable for my application.
I need to be able to get the translation before it's being trancated or filtered.
Any help here?
Thanks a lot!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello stereotaxis,

The device is a standard USB device. There are other APIs you can use that go directly to the device.
In general, you can still use the driver, if installed, to modify the data stream, but you don't need the driver installed.

The advantages of having the driver and using our API are:
  • Your code is independent of the device attached. As new 3D mice are announced your code doesn't need to change.
  • Users can use our GUI to modify the actions performed by axes and buttons to their own preferences.
  • There is some modification of the input stream to get 3D applications to move the part/scene at a consistent speed, regardless of the speed of the machine or the size of the part/scene.
  • Multiple devices are handled for you. If a user has more than one device, by default, the data streams are folded together. You can also address each device individually.
  • Hot plugging is handled for you. Even if a user switches device types.
If you use one of the other APIs, you probably have to make modifications for each type of device an end-user may have. In a completely controlled environment where you forever control the hardware selection, that doesn't matter. E.g., for industrial apps. In that case, we sell the raw 6DOF cap for mounting in an industrial setting.