SpaceMouse Wireless not working in Solidworks in Admin mode

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

maddy323

SpaceMouse Wireless not working in Solidworks in Admin mode

Post by maddy323 »

Hi all,

When I run Solidworks normally, my SpaceMouse Wireless works fine. But I often need to run Solidworks in Administrator mode. This is due to a security permission issue/bug with exporting Mulitbody parts (as shown here http://fabionotes.blogspot.com.au/2014/ ... error.html). As soon as I run Solidworks in Administrator mode (which I do by right clicking the Solidworks launcher under Properties), the Spacemouse Wireless stops working completely. Once I deselect Administrator mode for SW and run it again normally the SpaceMouse works again.

Any ideas? It's potentially more an issue with SW than the SpaceMouse, although I'm not sure.

Thanks, M

System Win 7 x64
Solidworks 2012
3DxWare 10.1.0
Fred

Re: SpaceMouse Wireless not working in Solidworks in Admin m

Post by Fred »

Go to Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Stop driver
Now go to Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, right click on Start driver, left click on Properties.
Select Compatibility, at the bottom choose run as administrator.
Click save. Now go back and start driver.

Otherwise
Uninstall the driver.
Then go and right click on the driver you downloaded and choose install as Administrator.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello maddy323 -

The reason for the behavior is the Microsoft requirement that permissions for an add-in need to match the application's permissions. The mis-match when one runs with standard permissions and the other with elevated permissions causes communication to be blocked between application and add-in.

Fred's steps show how to switch the 3Dconnexion software to elevated permissions so the 3DxSolidWorks add-in can communicate with SolidWorks in administrator mode.
----------------
Barbara
maddy323

Post by maddy323 »

Hi all - thankyou so much. I did as Fred described, and now it is working in Admin mode. I didn't realise there was this requirement to match permissions.

Cheers - your help is much appreciated!

8) Matt