SpaceNavigator Rotation vs SpaceMousePro Rotation??

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tholden

SpaceNavigator Rotation vs SpaceMousePro Rotation??

Post by tholden »

I moved to a new job. My old job used SpaceMousePro. The rotation on it using the spaceball would not spin the part, rather it would keep everything in solidworks on the same plane and would spin my view. Which was great.

My new spaceball is the SpaceNavigator, and when i try to rotate turn my wrist to rotate my view on the same plane and obtain the same effect it spins the part instead of the view. how can i fix this?? The options are very limited in the settings for this cheaper spaceball. Thanks!!!
tholden

Re: SpaceNavigator Rotation vs SpaceMousePro Rotation??

Post by tholden »

Crap i meant to say this. im burnt out this week sorry!

My new spaceball is the SpaceNavigator, and when i try to rotate my view on the same plane and obtain the same effect it spins the part instead of the view. how can i fix this?? The options are very limited in the settings for this cheaper spaceball.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello tholden -

The Space Navigator and SpaceMouse Pro software both have the option to move an individual part within an assembly or to move the view. The difference is only in where the options are located.

Using the current Space Navigator driver [3DxWare 10.0.22] to turn off part movement:
With a SolidWorks as the active application and an assembly open, go to 3Dconnexion Properties - Advanced - Other and un-check 'Move selected objects'.

For anyone using the SpaceMouse Pro driver [3DxSoftware 3.17.8] the 'Move selected objects' is located in the 3DControl options.[SolidWorks menu|3Dcontrol|Properties|Options]

It is possible for any of our current devices to use either driver. When the 3DxWare driver is used the System Tray icon for 3DxWare is black and white ; with the 3DxSoftware driver it is purple and white. The icon color is a quick way to tell which driver is installed.
--------------
Barbara
tholden

Post by tholden »

I may have presented my problem badly, thats not what i want to do. Basically i want to modify how the objects rotate. If you look at my picture link it is explained!! Thanks!

http://imgur.com/uG7d2Vf
Fred

Post by Fred »

With the 3DxWare 10 driver:
The axis behavior in the 3DxWare 10 driver has been changed from the behavior in the 3DxSoftware driver and is based on feedback about customer preferences.
While the supported options are those available in the GUI, advanced users are free to edit their custom profiles as described this forum thread [viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8102].

In 3DxSoftware the Spin and Roll axis directions are swapped when changing the Zoom direction. The default zoom direction is considered "Desktop Mode". This assumes the bottom of the device is on the desktop plane. "Screen Mode" assumes the device bottom is on your screen plane and swaps the Spin and Roll axis directions accordingly. The 3DxWare 10 driver zoom direction option changes only the zoom axis. This thread has an example of a profile edited to swap Spin
and Roll viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8086
tholden

Post by tholden »

wow, haha ok, would it be possible to download an older driver that has axis switchable so i dont have to go deep into the files and modify stuff? thanks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

when you go to the site choose "Show Archive"
You'll be able to choose the previous driver.
Just remember the next Software upgrade if it uses a add-in we provide it may not work you'll have to go back to the current driver.
tholden

Post by tholden »

I went through the link to changing the axis manually, but its from 2008 (most likely outdated) and the location for the files i need to change doesnt exist. there is no %appdata%\3dconnexion\3dxware\profiles in the folder. can you point me to where i need to modify this?

"To swap the Tilt and Spin axes, change this string from:
AXIS_MAP_HRZ_USER = "XYZRUV"
to:
AXIS_MAP_HRZ_USER = "XYZURV"

Then save the file and restart your application. "

thanks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Download driver 3.17.8 it does not need to be modified. It already swaps the axis when you switch zoom directions from up down to forward and backwards.

Your looking for an xml file if you decide to modify the 3Dxware 10 driver. Open the file with Notepad.
While the supported options are those available in the GUI, advanced users are free to edit their custom profiles as described this forum thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8102.
tholden

Post by tholden »

Do you have a link to this driver? Thanks!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

www.3dconnexion.com
Service
Download drivers
Select your product
Select your OS
check the box Show Archive
Click search
Choose 3.17.8