3Ds Max and 3DxWare10 sensitivity

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Arto

3Ds Max and 3DxWare10 sensitivity

Post by Arto »

Hi,

How can I adjust the new driver's sensitivity/deadzone?

With new the driver my Spacenavigator is way too sensitive.
When I release my hand from the navigator the 3Ds max viewport starts to wobble as the navigator is vibrating very slightly.

-Arto
Fred

Re: 3Ds Max and 3DxWare10 sensitivity

Post by Fred »

I believe a calibration will fix that issue.
Right click on the 3Dicon in your system tray and choose calibrate.

Otherwise when you open the 3dConnexion properties, while the application is open the first screen has the overall speed adjustment and under advanced settings click speed you can adjust the speed for each mode.
Arto

Post by Arto »

Thanks for the quick response.

The calibration didn't resolve the issue.
Changing the speed doesn't help either, because the problem is not with the speed, but the sensitivity.
Even the slightest touch to the navigator starts to move the viewport.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Arto,

see if changing the deadband improves the situation. See this post how you can set the deadband.
Arto

Post by Arto »

I have problems setting the deadband.

I can't find the Global_User.xml as instructed in this post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8181&p=34358#p34358

I did find in the same directory the 3dsMax.xml, and it contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<AppCfg Default="false" xmlns="" CfgFormatVersion="1.0" ThisFileVersion="1.0" xml:space="preserve">
<AppInfo>
<Name>STR_3DSMAX</Name>
<ExecutableName>3dsmax.exe</ExecutableName>
<ApplicationIcon>3dsmax.ico</ApplicationIcon>
<Transport>s80</Transport>
</AppInfo>
<CfgProperties>
<InheritsFrom>STR_3DSMAX</InheritsFrom>
<Access/>
</CfgProperties>
<Settings>
<OverallScale>0.55</OverallScale>
</Settings>
<Devices>
<Device>
<Name>SpaceNavigator</Name>
<VendorID>46d</VendorID>
<ProductID>c626</ProductID>
<AxisFilter>None</AxisFilter>
<CurrentButtonBank>Default</CurrentButtonBank>
<Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis><Axis><Enabled>true</Enabled><Input><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Min>-512</Min><Max>511</Max></Input><Output><ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID><Scale>1.0000</Scale><RepeatStyle>Auto</RepeatStyle></Output></Axis></Device>
</Devices>
</AppCfg>

Where do I set the deadband in this file?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

The Global_User.xml file is in your Appdata folder:

C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Global_User.xml

If not yet ... set the option that a log file is written and it should be created.
Arto

Post by Arto »

No, there is no Global_User.xml in that directory.
Where can I set the option for it to be written?

Sorry for being such a noob with this. It's just very frustrating to be dealing with this kind of problem.
I have used the Space navigator for over 6 years, and this is the first time I have to even touch any of these settings.

The previous driver version worked just fine without any problems with the sensitivity.

-Arto
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Right click to the driver's icon in the systemtray and select "Write Log File".

You could as well try 3DxSoftware 3.17.8, the current driver for our professional devices. It supports the SpaceNavigator, too.
Arto

Post by Arto »

Okay.

I managed to create the log file and tried to adjust the deadband.
I didn't find any difference in the behavior. Deadband 1 or 300, the behavior is the same.
Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

Yeah, the 3DxSoftware 3.17.8 is one option, but it doesn't work with 3ds Max 2015, and our company is migrating to it very soon.

-Arto
Arto

Post by Arto »

So we finally migrated to max 2015 and I had to install the new drivers.
I found a interesting bug. Adjusting the deadband setting in Global_User.xml does remove the vibration problem, but it brings another very odd problem.
When I adjust the deadband in changes the rotation speeds on different axis. Counter clockwise rotation is much faster than clockwise.
The higher the deadband value, the higher the difference is between these axis.

I did find a value that I can work with, but it's really mysterious what could result this behavior.
I even tested with another Spacenavigator and the behavior is the same, so it's not dependent on hardware...

-Arto
jwick

Post by jwick »

The Deadband in the Global Cfg may be broken in your release. You may have to put the Deadband setting on each individual Axis in the application-specific Cfg.

E.g., 3DsMax.xml:

Code: Select all

<Device>...
	<Axis>
		<Enabled>true</Enabled>
		<Input>
			<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
			<Min>-512</Min>
			<Max>511</Max>
			<Deadband>50</Deadband>
		</Input>
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, are you sure this is not the same issue with the new drivers that a lot of people are getting just now?
Things zooming off exponentially when moving them etc... Hard to click to select things,
Have a look at some other threads, i think there is a big driver issue that's causing this.

s