This doesn't bide well for the future.....

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

shaund

This doesn't bide well for the future.....

Post by shaund »

Being a keen Mudbox user, I've been trawling these forums regularly to see if there's any news of any driver updates for this software.

What concerns me is the attitude of the 3dconnexion guys here in that there's this expectation that it's down to the software houses to make this device work with their software.

The 'here's an SDK to sort yourselves out' screams a little bit of the linux world's 'write your own driver to make it work' mentality (apologies to linux guys BTW!!)

I'd like to know how/who decides what software drivers are included in the driver releases as at face value there are a number of apps whose user base would suggest that the effort would hardly be worth it....but looking at the number of requests and views of the mudbox related posts, this is one driver that people genuinely want to see.....it concerns me that despite this, we're still being told it's someone elses problem....
jitto

quite

Post by jitto »

Well I know of lots who feel the same and more, its like these people have the business sense of 2 old grannies in a wool shop. This product adds so much. (when you can actually use it)

What is with the egotistical attitudes?
If you had the Coca Cola company sell to just hospital's, you would get an idea that this 3DConnecion product is far from reaching its potential...
shaund

Post by shaund »

At the price that it's now at, this is one of the steals of the century but only if the software support is there.

I really don't know why 3dconnexion don't 'adopt' the mouse/joystick driver that's on the forums and formally support it Surely that's a more sensible approach than this SDK lark..

It's all very well to require vendors to use the SDK to maximise the use of the Navigator BUT personally I'd rather have a supported means to use it in some form rather than not at all... :?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments and the opportunity to explain.

Windows applications need the mouse and keyboard. That's a system requirement. 3Dconnexion devices, like joysticks and camera, are not yet a system requirement for Windows applications.

3Dconnexion is putting a lot of effort in making our "3D Mouse" solution available as a standard which is exactly what you want: more supported applications.

Simply turning a "3D Mouse" into a emulation of a joystick will not provide the rich experience that ultimately is our goal.

Also, do note the following: the hardware of our devices is a standard. All USB devices comply with the "multi-axis HID" specifications. That's why others have been able to experiment with the 3Dconnexion.

It is actually very rewarding to see that you feel strongly about Mudbox support for 3Dconnexion devices and that can only be achieve by a joint effort of the Mudbox editor and 3Dconnexion.

The vast majority of applications that support our devices do it natively (no plug-in software from 3Dconnexion is required), just like a camera or joystick.

A final thought: to whom do you think the editor pays more attention?
Nuno Gomes
shaund

Post by shaund »

Nuno,
Thanks for replying - I appreciate that you're trying to maximise the potential that this device can offer us - I can only thank you for that but as I said before if i had a choice between an app working at all or not, I know which choice I'd take every time..

what I'm frustrated about though is that quite a few apps allow you to customise keys/mouse movements etc so even if you don't provide a specific driver for an app, i'd still like to be in a position where I can make it do something - not withstanding that I can then tailor it to what i want it to do rather than having an 'our way or no way' scenario which we do appear to have at the moment with the drivers that are on offer...

Do you have an ETA for this '3d mouse' driver that you mentioned?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shaund wrote:Do you have an ETA for this '3d mouse' driver that you mentioned?
I was referring to our devices: they can be seen as "3D mice". I could just as well have written "3D input device" or "3D controller."

Note that you are free to experiment code from third parties (see thistopic). Obviously, 3Dconnexion can only provide support for software that we ship.
Layer01

Post by Layer01 »

so what you're saying is that something it seem ALL the users want is not going to be given to them!?

Please give me ONE good reason why you cannot implement a driver based solution like RBC9's AND keep your high and mighty "rich experience" with application specific drivers/plugins like you do now!?

Because right now it seems that you have a product that CAN offer a LOT to users, but you've chosen to keep it crippled and force everyone to wait and hope that this legendary experience comes along before we all die of old age!

Wouldn't you think that if everyone wants something..even if it seems "unworthy" of your great plans for your products that you could indulge us mere mortals with it anyway? at least for the time being..while we wait for your second comming.
If its easy enough for a user to hack it together why the heck havent you guys (who make the damn product!) done it yourself!!??

its like you're saying "here is our product, it will only work with the few apps we support. we're trying to get more people to use our product so we can convince more apps to support us and make our life easier but for some reason we're having trouble convincing people that our product's crippled driver is right for them, please bare with us we do have a vision and you'll all just have to wait until its ready and in the mean time wonder why we dont let you do what you want with your purchace"

please wake up and stop being stubborn. fix your damn driver and give people what they want, and continue to work on your rich experience in your own time, but dont let that get in the way of your product working at all RIGHT NOW. If your plans come through later great, and we all get to use 3Dx's tools the way you dream of, great. But in the MEANTIME think of it as a "patch" a little something to help keep us happy while we wait to be blown away by your vision.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Layer01,

We understand your frustration and, I can assure you, we are striving to have more applications supporting our devices. Ultimately and like any company, we have limited resources and an installed base of users to support.
shaund

WHAT!!!!

Post by shaund »

Your resources are limited cos your driver model creates a massive amount of work for yourselves with every release of the software that you already support. YOU'RE DOING THE WRONG DAMN THING!! Create a Generic driver!!!!

How can you suggest that you're concentrating on what your users want when what we want is the means to use the thing on apps other than those that you choose!!!?
ngomes

Re: WHAT!!!!

Post by ngomes »

Hi shaund,
Create a Generic driver!!!!
To emulate key presses, mouse and joystick data? What exactly would a "generic" driver be? We cannot simply dismiss the current installed user base and the range of current 3D apps.
How can you suggest that you're concentrating on what your users want
The fact that you're clamouring for more app support is a clear sign that we are following the right path. The SpaceNavigator -- and its aggressive pricing -- is now accessible to a much wider "audience" than any 3D Mouse was before.
Gubi

Post by Gubi »

Just a shame it doesn't work right with a big program like 3ds Max!

So I say, concentrate on making it work!
Regards

Gubi
Gubi

Post by Gubi »

Post deleted!
Regards

Gubi
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Gubie,
Post deleted!
Was there any information deleted that was different from what you had posted just before?
Fred

Post by Fred »

I believe he accidently double posted and wants the second one deleted.
voomer

Post by voomer »

can we get a lightwave driver soon? :oops: