This doesn't bide well for the future.....

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

moidib

Post by moidib »

ngomes wrote:If a decision is made by 3Dconnexion to revert our current position regarding "mouse/keyboard emulation", I will surely let you and the other Forum users know.
Well that is at least encouraging. I hope this does indeed happen, and soon.
avaktar

Post by avaktar »

Thanks for the consistent follow-ups to the thread, ngomes. I'm looking forward to enhanced device support in the future.
The first thing I ever made in Blender was a cube.
http://3dpipeline.net
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

No worries, avaktar. I think it is privilege for 3Dconnexion to have customers that make the effort to tell us what they think and even explain why they want to see change.
stuffy

Software update

Post by stuffy »

Hello ngnomes,

I really believe in your products. I got my department to buy 22 SpacePilots for our computer lab. The main software used there right now is Maya 2008. When is the driver coming? At the moment the devices are not getting used, they appear bothersome to the users when I look how they get pushed out of the way. Maya is one of the applications that you support. Why does it take that long to get the software updated?

Steffen
ngomes

Re: Software update

Post by ngomes »

Hi stuffy,
The main software used there right now is Maya 2008. When is the driver coming?
Later this month. We are just completing the validation of the build.
Maya is one of the applications that you support. Why does it take that long to get the software updated?
Normally, we are given a few weeks (up to a month) to get our plug-ins ready before a major application release. Somehow this didn't seem to have happened with the release of Maya 2008. When it was made available we were already deep in the Release 3.5 development cycle.

We apologise for the delay. This is not how we like to operate. We always try to make our software available at the same time as major updates to third-party applications.
clovenlife

Re: Software update

Post by clovenlife »

Later this month. We are just completing the validation of the build.

Normally, we are given a few weeks (up to a month) to get our plug-ins ready before a major application release. Somehow this didn't seem to have happened with the release of Maya 2008. When it was made available we were already deep in the Release 3.5 development cycle.

We apologise for the delay. This is not how we like to operate. We always try to make our software available at the same time as major updates to third-party applications.[/quote]

I hope that the driver for 3dsmax 2008 is also close to completing. its gotten to the point where working without your devices isn't feasible anymore and I'm very egger to make the switch
shaund

Post by shaund »

When I first started this thread way back in April, it was with the hope that something would be done and it looks as though, unfortunately, I've been proven right.

We've had no new drivers since July, users are complaining that even in major apps like Max/Maya 2008 that the devices are as good as useless (ok so you may have got the software late but even so...)

Just what is it going to take to make someone realise that there has got to be another way of supporting these devices?

Just look at the current state as far as 3d apps are concerned:

Maya 2008 - Not yet
Max 2008 - Not yet
Zbrush - No and unlikely to come from Vendor
Lightwave - No
Blender - only because someone else wrote it..
Mudbox - No (but now it's an autodesk tool...)

Like I said in one of my earlier posts, what's it going to be like next year with more software and more versions about?

If you are going to pick and choose what software you support then why don't we, as users on the forum, have a poll to see what it is that we want rather than someone in a marketing department somewhere coming up with another 'Google Earth demo at trade show' moment....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi shaund,
Maya 2008 - Not yet
Max 2008 - Not yet
No yet but it will be available soon. We are sorry for the delay. It is also a disappointment to us.
Zbrush - No and unlikely to come from Vendor
Why unlikely?
Blender - only because someone else wrote it..
Someone else? I do not think you have all your facts together. If you want, ask round on the Blender forums. It was a joint project. We committed resources of our own to make it happen. We still do.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Someone posted a solution for Lightwave (I think it was either late yesterday, or earlier today).

...and it would be GREAT!!! if all our users would tell us which applications they want to use. It makes it much easier for us to concentrate our efforts (engineering, marketing, business development and sales), ...of course, you have to live by the majority <G>.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
tarc

Post by tarc »

ngomes wrote: Simply turning a "3D Mouse" into a emulation of a joystick will not provide the rich experience that ultimately is our goal.
Hi,

A kind of boolean operation like: "Rich 3d experience" AND "Joystick emulation (or other operations)" depending on which appliction is running would be great.

I was surprised that the navigator was useless elsewhere and it is not even possible to do something about it.

Regards,

tarc
v3rlon

a Lightwave solution?

Post by v3rlon »

It is my understanding that the Lightwave solution (or at least the one I read about on the Lightwave forums) does not work with the modeler, and is sorely limited in layout.

I have my very own Logitech trade show going on at my computer desk (mx revolution, mx laser G15 and lord knows whatall), and the only thing holding back my SpacePilot purchase is true Lightwave support.

I posted here a while back and was told to go bug Newtek. Well, we're (it isn't just me) are bugging Newtek about it, but I really REALLY want this so I am going to bug you some more, too.

If you guys can work with blender, surely you can work with Newtek. They're a great bunch of guys (at least the ones I've met).
voomer

RE:a Lightwave solution?

Post by voomer »

Well.

,,This tool is more toy alike, but showed us great power behind it by allowing to make LightWave driver for Space/3D Navigator http://www.3dconnexion.com controller, even without NewTek help! ,,

http://trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&UR ... /CameraMan

If you guys have done a company with the Blender coders then you should get in touch with the Trueart...Please
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :oops: :!:
cgoverlord

To: 3Dconnexion Dev's

Post by cgoverlord »

Hello to 3Dconnexion staff.

First I would like to thank you guys for a wonderful product. But as a 3d artist as well as a gamer I see the Space Navigator Personal as more than just a 3d tool. I play Supreme Commander and would love if I could use my Space Navigator for panning and zooming.

Basically all that would be required is a software patch that allows us to assign actions to the different axis. I.E. the up arrow to pan forward, the down arrow to go backward. Is it possible to do this or would this not be a viable option? I love the control I recieve when utilizing your product, and I firmly believe that allowing this device to be programable to adapt to PC games or other applications will only increase the popularity of your products.

I thank you for your time and for a excellent product and wish all of you Happy Holidays.

Mikey K
dorbar

SpaceNavigator: Today I bought it today a throw it

Post by dorbar »

For 3Dconnexion guys
This is just plain crazy. I went through entire discusion and as I said I'm going to throw away my SN.
Just for a moment imagine what a life would be for a programer if he should write a driver for every application available. And you are doing exactly this. Now consider the possibility that in the near future all supported 3D programs would change a bit. Are you willing to rewite you "native" drivers? I bet not. At least not fast enough.

So pull yourselves together and make a decent generic driver with a user-customizable feature.

Regards, D.
Think positive!
dorbar

RBC9 it's a hero

Post by dorbar »

After all I'm keeping my SN thanks to RBC9's driver. I'm convinced that his driver should be writen by 3Dconnexion stuff.

But anyway I have now a product, before was just half of that. I have to say that I'm very happy with my SN now. This is a wonderfule product with a fantastic functionality. Right now I'm very productiv with it, even more than with a mouse.
I made it work with a CorelDraw too (pann, zoom, an other stuff).

Thank you 3Dconnexion for your 1/2 of a product and RBC9 for your 1/2. Grate gear!

Cheers, D.
Think positive!