Spaceball 5000 serial with SW 2008

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jalcad

Post by jalcad »

I'm beta testing Solidworks 2008 and need to know if you will have a dll for the Solidworks addin to use the Spaceball 5000 during testing.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi jalcad

3Dconnexion doesn't support serial devices under Windows any more. Please upgrade to an USB device.
agoenczi
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Is there any program to trade in my current serial versions for a USB device. I know several companies that have the serial devices that are currently using them with SW and other programs. True USB is the way things are going but why not provide the support for your customers that have been using the Spaceballs and quit forcing them to continue to buy buy buy.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi jalcad

I am sorry we had a trade-in program until December the 31-th 2006. At the moment I can suggest you only a new device (USB): take a look to our homepage; I'm sure you will find something suitable for your application (-s).
agoenczi
JRICHTER

SolidWorks 2008 Serial SpaceBall 4000/5000/Spacemouse FIX!

Post by JRICHTER »

In the SolidWorks.com customer portal knowledge base I found this solution. I tried it out to test it and modified the solutions referenced driver version from 3.3.2 to the 3.4.2 which is the only one available.

Also after installing the older driver 2.8.2, install the 3.4.2, but only the SolidWorks plug in. If you install more then that it will not work.

S-016552
Q: I have a serial version Spaceball 4000/5000 /Spacemouse Magellan, and I cannot find a driver for your new software. Is there a way my 3Dconnexicon product can work in SolidWorks 2008?

A: Use the following workaround:
1. Load 3DxSoftware 2.8.2. , found in the Space Ball 4000 from 3Dconnexicon http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/driv ... v2-8-2.exe
2. Download 3DxSoftware 3.4.2. , found in the Space Ball 5000 USB http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/driv ... v3-4-2.exe
3. Use WinZIP to unzip 3dXSoftware 3.3.2 and install only the SolidWorks plug-in.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Just to clarify our position on the information on JRICHTER's post.

That procedure may work but the resulting system configuration is unsupported. That means that our Customer Service department is unable to follow up any support requests if a customer installs software in the described manner.

There is also no assurances that this "hack" will continue to work with future releases of 3Dconnexion software.
Nuno Gomes
stevem

Post by stevem »

Jrichter thanks so much for the help. This works great even with a 4000FLX. Too bad the 3dConnexions douchebags can't just copy the new plugin into a new build of the software and make us all happy.
summersja

Post by summersja »

This no longer works; 3dconnexion killed the link to 3DxSoftware_v3-4-2.exe (no longer available. :(
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi summersja,

The link is unavailable because release 3.4 has been replaced by version 3.5.

The latest builds of 3Dconnexion software can be found in the download page.

Forum users should avoid deep linking into 3dconnexion.com.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Are the older drivers available in an archived section or are you keeping these from us to force us to purchase new devices. Since you are no longer supporting the serial devices, the least you could do was provide the add in for Solidworks to keep using the serial spaceballs. Also the work around came from Solidworks tech support during beta testing 2008.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi jalcad,

You will find the latest available release for your device on the download software page. The software will be found there for a number of years after the device stops being manufactured.

We do not keep old software away from customers to force them to purchase new 3D mice. The most recent software is always provided and software that is not actively maintained can be found in the archive.

I'd like to point out that we provide software updates for devices no longer in production but still in "extended support". The SpaceBall 5000 USB and the SpaceMouse Plus USB are still being actively supported. There is no issue in using these model types in SW2008.

Serial device support ended in late 2006.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

Is 3.4.2 available in the archived area. All of the ones I've seen are 3.2.2 for those that are using the USB.
JRICHTER

Post by JRICHTER »

I have not tested the configuration of 3.5.5 personally. I may have jumped the gun here. Be aware that at any time there may be a newer driver that would disallow this compatibility so advice it to keep your driver downloads if you find one that works. -Edited 11-13-07 to preface the below comments. -Joe
--------------
Looks like they made good on there threat to hamstring serial devices with there 3.5.5 as quoted:
"There is also no assurances that this "hack" will continue to work with future releases of 3Dconnexion software. -Nuno Gomes"
-----------------

And despite blaming Solidworks for the mismatch: EDIT And thanks to FRED.

"Summers,

Due to changes by SolidWorks, old devices cannot be used in SolidWorks 2008. This includes SpaceMouse Classic, Cadman, SpaceMouse Plus serial, SpaceBall 4000/5000 serial. These devices are not officially supported in SolidWorks 2008.

We have a promo going on with Solidworks users to get 25% off select devices.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/swpromo/en/"

And also this

"We do not keep old software away from customers to force them to purchase new 3D mice. The most recent software is always provided and software that is not actively maintained can be found in the archive. -ngomes"

It is hard to believe that they did not see my post as a "BUG REPORT" to correct this oversight so it would not work with SW2008 and serial devices.

If 3DConnexion is serious about the above comment of not wanting to "force users to purchase new 3D mice", then they should use my post as an Enhancement Request to there Driver and allow this functionality between SW2008 and the serial products.

This is clearly a CHOICE on there part, if the hack works, then there is CODE that would allow this compatibility. But I understand that doing so would not help new product sales (except when you consider the scratch my back I scratch your back way of doing business).
Last edited by JRICHTER on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

JRICHTER wrote:And despite blaming Solidworks for the mismatch
I believe this statement to be unwarranted.

Can you please be more specific and show the Forum where do we make such a remark?
summersja

Post by summersja »

ngomes wrote:
JRICHTER wrote:And despite blaming Solidworks for the mismatch
I believe this statement to be unwarranted.

Can you please be more specific and show the Forum where do we make such a remark?
Here is the blame on Solidworks (By Fred):
Fred wrote:Summers,

Due to changes by SolidWorks, old devices cannot be used in SolidWorks 2008. This includes SpaceMouse Classic, Cadman, SpaceMouse Plus serial, SpaceBall 4000/5000 serial. These devices are not officially supported in SolidWorks 2008.

We have a promo going on with Solidworks users to get 25% off select devices.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/swpromo/en/