It works, It doesn't work, It works.........

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

moleman

Post by moleman »

The problem has returned. I thought I had it fixed, but I guess that was wishful thinking. It seems to happen when I have another usb mouse plugged in. I'm not sure that the problem is with the space navigator, and not my motherboard (VIA Epia CN-13000). I have not been able to replicate the error on any other computer.

For the tech support guys here's what I have noticed:
It seems to work fine for a week or two, and then all of the sudden it won't work. The HID doesn't even show up in the device manager. I have noticed that the computer sometimes crashes after coming out of hibernation right before this happens. I can't remember if this coincides with the use of a usb mouse or not. I will play with it some tomorrow.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi moleman

Could you describe your system configuration? It would be important the exact type of motherboard, the device you are using (SpaceNavigator, or SpaceExplorer, ...) other connected USB devices (directly or via USB hub), BIOS version.

Please specify so many details as you consider it will be useful.
agoenczi
moleman

Post by moleman »

Ok, here's the specs:
VIA Epia CN-13000, I'll have to check on the BIOS version.
Space Navigator
Other USB devices:
Delorme GPS, Touchscreen interface, Buffalo Wireless Adapter

After some testing, it seems the USB mouse isn't causing it. I don't think the problem is with the Space Navigator. I've had problems with this board before, and I haven't been able to replicate the problem on any of 5 other computers. It's really strange.
agoenczi
User
User

SpaceNavigator

Post by agoenczi »

Hi moleman,

Please try to connect the SpaceNavigator directly to a USB-port available on the computer and the other USB devices through a USB-hub with own power supply. This will avoid eventual problems due to the limited current capacity available from the computer USB system.
agoenczi
chucks

Post by chucks »

I have seen similar problems with my SpaceNavigator. The device will not be recognized at all on USB. I have been able to work around this by diconnecting the SN, and the plugging it back into USB while holding down both of the spacenavigator buttons. This seems to do some sort of warm-reset of the device, and then it will be recognized on the bus.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi chucks,
I have seen similar problems with my SpaceNavigator. The device will not be recognized at all on USB.
How are you verifying that the device is not recognised? By checking if it is listed the Device Manager?
Also, is the device connected directly to your machine (not to a hub)?

If you answer all the above with a "yes", then you should contact our Customer Service to arrange for your device to be replaced (it seems to be a hardware issue).

Before you do, please check what happens if the SpaceNavigator is the only device connected to your machine.

The Customer Service contact numbers can be found here.
chucks

Post by chucks »

In my case, the device would not be visible at all in Device Manager. I can't reliably make the problem happen, so at this point I can't try with no other USB devices connected. My SN is connected directly to a PCI USB card...no external hub.

re Customer Service, with respect...I did contact them via the web form in March, and did not hear any response. Is there a better way to contact them regarding a replacement or firmware upgrade? You can PM me details if necessary.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

chucks wrote:re Customer Service, with respect...I did contact them via the web form in March, and did not hear any response.
I'm sorry to hear that. You may call Customer Service on the phone. The contact numbers can be found on the link in my previous post.
guest_user

Solution for SpacePilot intermittently not recognized by USB

Post by guest_user »

I've been having this problem intermittently for about a year. Based on suggestion posted above I was able to get the spacepilot to be recognized using the following procedure (I've never been able to "fix" the problem when it appeared before, it sometimes worked again after reboot(s) ):

1. Disconnect all USB devices from PC (laptop)
2. Plug in spacepilot (into USB port where it normally is connected)
3. Open Device Manager
4. Under HID devices, confirm that space pilot was shown

Under details it showed "HID\VID_046D&PID_C626\7&3855E1FB&0&0000"

5. Go to Start/All Programs/Startup/Start 3DxWare

at this point the LED's on the space pilot lit up & the device appeared to be working

6. Reconnect all USB peripherals

Everything seems to be working. This is the 1st time that any procedure I have tried has "fixed" the problem (at least until it reappears)
pufferfish

never worked

Post by pufferfish »

just bought a new space navigator. usb loaded the hardware. software installed. all visuals look good, but nothing works. no beep from the 3d mouse as others have done on different computers. tried installing my old spaceball 5000 with same result. had it department spend an hour trying to figure out why this thing wont work. tried multiple times in different sequences to install the hardware and software. (each time unistalling both first). its a 32 bit laptop running xp pro, sp2. please help. i am not very computer saavy, so treat me like a kid. thanks!
Bryan

Getting Started

Post by Bryan »

Dear pufferfish,

Make sure you are plugging directly into your computer.

If you have a previous driver installed. Reinstall in Add and Remove Programs in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel.
Download 3DxSoftware 3.10.1 to your desktop and install from there. The InstallShield program should load the software for you. Choose a complete install and to have the drivers start automatically.

Reboot.

You should find 'Start 3DxWare' listed in Start, All Programs, Startup.
This starts the drivers automatically each time.

Test in the Jet Demo.
(Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare)

If the drivers have already started, you will get a message that they have already started if you attempt to start the manually.
(Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare, Start Drivers)

You can make sure all your motions are enabled in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel under the Advanced Setting Tab (Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion 3dconnexion 3DxWare, Show 3Dconnexion Control Panel)

If it seems that your operating system does not seem to be discovering our device. Replug device while holding both buttons on the device as you do. Then access the Jet Demo to see if the Operating System has discovered your device.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )