It works, It doesn't work, It works.........

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Installed my Navigator for the first time on Saturday. All well.

Spent Sunday morning trying to revive a dead navigator. Reinstalling, changing USB ports, reading other mails about the phenomenon until final success when I allowed 3DxSrv.exe to run as a server in my firewall settings.
Monday worked fine.
Tuesday dead again. Firewall solution doesn't work today.
Connection panel will not open.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi D.Taylor

Did you install the 3DxSoftware as an administrator?

Did you get any error messages while the SpaceNavigator didn't start?

Could you describe your environment: operating system, service pack, graphics card, memory, other USB devices connected to the same computer and any other details which you consider could be relevant?
agoenczi
D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Thanks for the speedy response.
I was logged on as administrator. No error messages.
Windows 2k SP4
Nvidia Quadro FX2000.
2Gb Ram
USB Printer, ADSL Modem.

And today it's working. I allowed 3DxSrv.exe server pivileges in my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) before I shut down yesterday and the Navigator lit up on boot up tonight so my guess is the firewall. If the Navigator needs to be acting as a server then maybe the root of the problem is here.

Thanks again

David Taylor
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi D.Taylor

If you will have any problems please post them here. I will try to answer as soon as possible.
agoenczi
D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Hello again,
today it's not working. Following up on the firewall line of enquiry I deleted the firewall. Still didn't work.
Installed a new firewall, still no success.
So back to square 1.

Please assist.
agoenczi
User
User

It works, It doesn't work, It works........

Post by agoenczi »

Hi D.Taylor

Please open a command window (some people call that DOS window) and try to start 3Dxsrv.exe from a command line. Do you get an error message this way?

If so, please send the error message to:

forum@3dconnexion.com

If not, please switch-on the "Write Log File" (under Extras) function and send the generated 3DxWare.log file to the same address. The file will be stored under the path:

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware
agoenczi
D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Last night I launched the program from the command line at your suggestion. It worked first time. I rebooted and it still worked.
Tonight it will not work at all. I have changed nothing.
The software will not run, it cannot be seen in the Task Manager window.

Please assist.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi D.Taylor

What did you write until now is very confusing. I have the same software installed, I start my computer every morning and it just works.

Do you get any error messages when the driver doesn't start?

Are you the only person using the machine, or you have eventually an administrator?

I would like to know what is your environment: operating system, service pack, memory, other USB devices connected to this computer, if your computer is connected to a network, graphic card.

If you would allow I would connect to see your desktop via NetViewer: you have to install a client which I can send you, I have to start a server. I will give you a code, you have to type this code, then you have to give your OK for the connection and I can see your desktop. I don't want to make anything on the computer, I just would like to guide you and see what is going on...
agoenczi
D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Hello again,
You can see the answers to your question in my previous post. I get no error messages, just nothing. I can double click on 3dxsrv.exe or run it in the command window and get no response. It will sometimes not even show as a running process in task manager.
I am the only one who uses my PC and I am the administrator. I have reloaded the software many times. The only anomaly that I have noticed is that the shortcut installed on the desktop. When I inspect the shortcut's properties there is a slightly different path in the 'Target' window to the path in the 'Start in' window. One path refers to a directory called \3dconnexion 3dxware\ and the corresponding directory in the other path refers to \3dconnexion 3dxsoftware\ but correcting this has no benificial effect.
I am not in front of my PC again until next week when it will probably work again.
Are there any registry settings that I should check or maybe compare in the working and non working state.

Regards,
David Taylor
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi David

Do you have a record called "Start 3DxWare" in the "Autostart" folder (Start -> All Programs -> Autostart)?

Do you have any error messages about 3dxsrv.exe in the "Event viewer" (under Applications, or System)?
agoenczi
D.Taylor

Still a mystery

Post by D.Taylor »

I am now back in front of my PC and the Navigator works again. My PC has not been booted for a week and the last time the navigator was dead.
Now it lit up as the PC booted (it seems like it is the last thing to install) and all is well.
Start '3dxware ' is in the startup folder and I can also see it ticked under the msconfig startup utility.
I can see no references to the Navigator in the event viewer.
Could the Navigator be faulty.

Thanks again
D. Taylor
jwick

Post by jwick »

I think we need to start considering the hardware. Do you have a friend you can trade with?
D.Taylor

Post by D.Taylor »

Hi jwick,
I don't know anyone else with a Navigator. Tonight it's working ok which is three consecutive nights in a row. Perhaps it's healed itself. It doesn't feel like a hardware fault. Too subtle, but who knows.
If it fails again I'll try swapping USB ports and i'll let you know.

thanks,

D.Taylor
sorin

Post by sorin »

i have the same problem for about 3-4 days. " UdCtl: Unable to open Any Device (-1) on USB". yesterday it worked. two days ago it didn't.

the first time it failed to be recognized i've tested on a second pc and it worked there. today it isn't working on both of them. do you have any suggestions? the device is almost new.

i have a asus a8n nforce4, amd x2 3800+, 2gb ram, ati x1950pro, 2 WD hdd and a usb adsl modem (alcatel). the other pc is a amd 2ghz duron, abit nf7s, 1gb ram, ati 9600pro, 2 WD hdd and an epson usb printer.
agoenczi
User
User

Still a mystery

Post by agoenczi »

Hi D.Taylor, hi sorin

I would ask you to send me the serial numbers of your devices in private messages. I would like to check them. Thank you!
agoenczi